FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC 150 - Firmware Upgrade - Has Anyone Done This Using Battery Power?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent D'Angelis
HMC 150 - Firmware Upgrade - Has Anyone Done This Using Battery Power?
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:31:14 pm

Just curious, have any of you done a 1.21 firmware update using battery power (instead of AC power)?

I ask because I need to do an update to 1.21 (presently i have 1.19) but after reading the instructions, it specifically states: "This Update can not be done with battery"

I don't have the DC cord for the AC adapter, so i was thinking of using the battery (my battery is 5 hrs. fully charged) - but is there a specific reason why they insist on AC power?

I know that sometimes AC power is required for my macbook pro updates (even if the battery is fully charged) - so now I'm very hesitant to do this using the battery, thinking that maybe there is a specific reason why they say "cannot be done with battery"

any input is appreciated - thanks!

Return to posts index

David Siegfried
Re: HMC 150 - Firmware Upgrade - Has Anyone Done This Using Battery Power?
on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:36:56 am

"This Update can not be done with battery"

If it literally CAN NOT be done with battery, then it won't work. If it's not recommended, that's another story.

Usually firmware updates can be performed as long as the system sees a fully charged battery. The only reason that A/C power is required instead of battery is that if the battery happened to run out while in the middle of the update, your camera would be bricked.

Of course you could just as easily have a power outage in the middle of your update and that too would brick your camera. It's funny, because with the GH2 they specifically recommending using a full battery and NOT A/C power, for that very reason. With a full battery, your chance of power interruption are actually much less than with A/C power.

So you could try it with a fully charged battery and see if it will work. If not, then "can not" really means "can not".

Return to posts index

Vincent D'Angelis
on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:36:07 am

hi - thanks for responding...

I figured the reason was (like you say) that they don't want the battery to run out... but I know sometimes certain updates for things actually need AC connection (for example once i had to use AC connection for an update for my macbook pro - even though the battery was fully charged)...

which is why i am hesitant to use the battery, fearing maybe if its not meant to be used for this upgrade, then maybe this would interfere with full completion of the upgrade... which is what happened with the macbook, it couldn't complete the update...

also - what if i use the battery, & the power goes out - which then means the computer would go out - wouldn't that just as equally screw the camera up?

i actually ordered a DC cable - it's crazy because i'm so paranoid about doing this... i just don't want to screw the camera up...

have you done this firmware update?

thanks

Return to posts index

David Siegfried
on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:04:09 am

I have not, because the firmware update offers me nothing I want.
As long as you ordered the cable, and this is what Panasonic is saying, then you're right to go by what they say and not take any chances.
At least that way in the highly unlikely event that there's a problem doing the update, you haven't violate your warranty in any way.

Best of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]