FORUMS: list search recent posts

AF100 or HVX200 for Green Screen?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Gomm
AF100 or HVX200 for Green Screen?
on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:21:03 pm

Hi everyone. I posted this in the HVX forum a couple days ago, but haven't had any responses so I thought I'd try here.

I have a music video shoot coming up soon, and a good chunk of it will be shot in front of a greenscreen. I already own an HVX200, but I am considering renting an AF100 with Nikkor lenses - 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm (Nikkor is what the rental house offers for that camera).

Would it be better to use my HVX or would I get a substantially cleaner key with the AF-100 package? I'm just not sure which camera would be better for this job. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Grant Gomm
http://www.grantgomm.com

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: AF100 or HVX200 for Green Screen?
on Jan 22, 2012 at 1:36:58 pm

Lots of people have used the AF-100 for green screen work with no problems. As always with green screen filming, how you light and how you expose are the main ingredients to success.

Here are a couple of threads from the DvxUser website on using the AF-100 for green screen work:

Af100 for Green Screen Shooting

Chroma Key Test Footage - Nano vs. AVCCAM

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:45:03 pm

Thanks for the info Guy, I appreciate it. Do you happen to know how the AVCHD codec holds up against the DVCPROHD codec? I can't seem to find any info on which would pull a cleaner key. Seems hard for me to figure out because of a few things... HVX has a better codec I feel - less compression - and I won't be able to output to an off camera recorder (although that would help me quickly make my decision) for the AF100. It's just straight in-camera AVCHD vs DVCPROHD, but with other considerations such as imager size and lenses. Any other thoughts would be super helpful. Thanks.

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:36:02 pm

Yeah I wouldn't get too caught up in the AVCHD/DVCPROHD codec argument. It *really* does come down to how well you light your screen- even, control spill, shadows etc. And what sort of capabilities you have to do the keying in post- like a dedicated compositing app such as Shake/AFX/Nuke, etc. That makes all the difference. Codec wise- AVCHD as shot on the AF100 is more than up to the task.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:52:59 pm

Yeah, I know how important controlling lighting and exposure is for sure. That's why I'm letting someone with much experience handle the lighting. But aside from lighting and exposure, you believe that it won't make too much of a difference which camera shoots it? Are there any physical factors that make a difference in terms of which camera, such as how much of the screen and talent will be in the shot?

I was just thinking also that the larger imager plus some descent lenses on the AF100 could be a plus over 3 CCDs. This video is super important to my client, and I just want to make sure I do it right (within budget, lol)... Thanks for your advice.

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:43:53 pm

I would be cautious if you are not doing the lighting...

1- Make sure the green screen background is properly lit by using the waveform display on your camera/monitor, when viewing just the background the waveform should show a straight thin line right across the image area.

2- Make sure your lighting person has low level edge-lighting on your subjects to guarantee there is no green-screen bleed around the edges of your subject. The test that I always do is to kill everything except the green-screen lighting, then looking at your subject you should see no green bleed or spill on your subject.

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:17:28 pm

Oh fantastic. That's great advice. I knew about the waveform monitor, but had no idea about checking spill by killing the subject lighting. I think I'm also just going to shoot with my HVX. It keeps things more simple.

I really appreciate all of your help with this. Thanks.

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:58:09 am

Honestly, I think you'll technically be better off with the HVX. It records in 4:2:2, whereas the AF100 records is 4:2:0, thus making a proper key that much harder to achieve, all else being equal.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]