FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100b to Final Cut Pro quality drop

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Moore
DVX100b to Final Cut Pro quality drop
on Dec 25, 2011 at 7:17:56 am

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and very new to editing.I'm using a Panasonic DVX100b and I need to learn the proper workflow for editing in Final Cut Pro. The problem I'm having is that the imported footage is lower quality than the original camera footage. I mean, the very moment I import it I lose quality. It's not something I only notice once I'm playing the imported footage back, as others have said. I even notice it while importing. I'm shooting in 24p and I believe my FCP import settings are on Advanced Pulldown Removal because I shoot in squeeze mode (only because I read somewhere that that was good to do) I'll be honest - I don't know at all what I'm doing as far as correctly capturing my footage for best quality. If it helps to know what I'm shooting, It's basically going to be for a sketch comedy series. I'd like the quality to be as good as possible though, and preferably in 24p. But I don't understand why I'm getting an immediate quality loss upon import. I didn't really know whether to post this in the "Panasonic DVX100b" forum section or this one, so I'm posting it in both. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DVX100b to Final Cut Pro quality drop
on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:23:41 pm

If you're new to the camera, there's a possibility that you didn't shoot in advanced 24p (24pa) but the normal, garden-variety 24p that has been used since they started showing movies on TV. If so, your picture in FCP would look just God-awful. You should confirm that you shot 24pa.

Or you may have indeed shot 24pa, but attempted to capture the entire tape, and encountered the inevitable oopsies in time code and pulldown cadence recorded on tape. The tape transport in your camera is a MECHANICAL DEVICE, not a card, and it can get thrown off, y'know. Since FCP reverts to capturing at 29.97 at the first glitch in 24pa video, you may indeed be looking at 29.97 video. You can check the frame rate in the FCP browser.

But first, you need to look at it properly in a video monitor, not an FCP viewer which can't be trusted to make ANY kind of judgement about video quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]