FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software for Hdmi capture?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
Software for Hdmi capture?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:26:34 pm

Are there any program that can capture hdmi. If yes would this be 4.2.2? Meaning no need for recorder

Richard

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Software for Hdmi capture?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:39:24 pm

What do you mean- to which device and from which device? Generally speaking you need specific hardware to capture and record an HDMI signal.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Dec 2, 2011 at 1:34:40 am

FRom a af100 to pc with app with hdmi capture capabilities. If the signal leaves the camera through as 422 then the ccapture app material would be 422. So no ninja or similar.

Of course you will have to record tehhered to laptop. Imagine if adobe encore could do this or a similar product.

Richard

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:29:32 pm

If you recorded in 4.2.0 it doesn't matter which out you use, it's still 4.2.0. Just use your media card reader, copy the footage over and import to your software.

You can set your software such as Final Cut Pro to 4.2.2, but your source footage is still 4.2.0 that has been upconverted. It doesn't improve your footage.

You need an external recorder tethered to the camera while recording to get true 4.2.2 recording into that recorder.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Dec 12, 2011 at 1:38:13 am

I understand that the signal comming out through the hdmi or sdi does not go through the cameras compresion system thus comes out with a higher quality, The recorder just transcode to another codec.

rc

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:19:19 am

Only the live signal- once it's recording onto a card- doesn't make a difference.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:03:44 am

If I record from the live signal to the computer via hdmi then I should have at least a 4.2.2 signal right?

So nnow all I need is a program that can capture through the hdmi interface.

Does anyone know of such a program?

Richarrd

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:50:52 pm

Hi Richard,

I believe the way your question is phrased may be causing some confusion - a software app has nothing to do with HDMI capture - you need specialized hardware for that. Some people assume that if their computer graphics card has an HDMI port, that it can somehow be used for recording, but those are output only, not sure if that was your angle?

There are HDMI capture cards from Matrox, BlackMagic, AJA, MOTU, but most are PCI-e cards that do not connect to a laptop. Matrox and MOTU have the option to use an ExpressCard34 adapter, and BlackMagic has the Intensity Shuttle with USB 3.0, though that can be finicky about which USB 3.0 chipset it works well with.

But you are correct in theory - with an MXO2 Mini for instance connected to laptop, you CAN take the HDMI out from camera during a live shoot and record direct to the computer with 4:2:2 using a better quality codec than the camera has.

I have done this myself, albeit with a workstation and not a laptop. Hardly portable, but you work with what you have! I had a long weekend shooting 6 dance recital shows and figured I could save about 15 hours by not having to capture all the HDV tapes, so brought my workstation and MXO2 Mini and recorded "live" to PC, and footage was immediately ready for edit then! In fact, between shows I was putting together little highlights of the shows and putting them on the HD display out in the lobby. Didn't hurt sales!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59:09 am

Well my commputer has an express port where I can fit an hdmi card. But I know of no editing aplication or utility that can capturture from hdmi only usb,fw. I am asking if anyone knows of such software,

Thanks

RC

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:52:42 pm

Hi RC,

I'm still not sure what you mean by "my computer has an express port where I can fit an hdmi card".

Computers don't typically have HDMI Inputs. If you add any of the hardware I had mentioned, then there are some software options. Matrox and Black Magic both work with Adobe Premiere, but also have their own capture utilities. I should also have mentioned Grass Valley as they have cards that work with their own EDIUS software.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Charles Eastwood
on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:26:12 am

I am very new to some of the newer technology even though I've produced several DVDs, have not been active in years.

I have acquired a HDMI capture card ("Trident 7160 HD capture card" in device manager) from EBAY and not really sure I like its "honestech HD DVR 2.5" software. It does capture HDMI input (such as from ROKU device) and stores it in a MPG file, but when I author it out to a DVD it doesn't seem to be quite the quality I'd like.

I'm wondering if there is some other software out there that I can use for capturing video into perhaps AVI format and I'm interested in hearing any suggestions.

I wouldn't know a 4.0 or a 4.2 if you smacked my head with it so all of this is a learning process...

Thanks in advance,
Charley
602-717-5397

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Dec 20, 2011 at 6:35:39 pm

Blackmagic's Hyperdeck Shuttle would answer you question! There is a review of it in Post Magazine. http://www.postmagazine.com/Publications/Post-Magazine/2011/December-1-2011/Review-Blackmagics-HyperDeck-Shuttle.aspx

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]