FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting with AF101 without IS

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Shooting with AF101 without IS
on Nov 24, 2011 at 11:11:55 am

Hi,

I wanted to ask, if anybody has experience with shooting with the Panasonic AF101 with lenses without IS and mainly handhold work.
The lenses would be the Olympus 14-54mm and the Olympus 50-200mm.
In case I want to shoot with the 101 I have to take it with those lenses for this job and
I am just a bit concerned how stable the image will be in handhold condition without the IS.

Thanx for any experience share.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Shooting with AF101 without IS
on Nov 24, 2011 at 8:13:29 pm

The AF-100 is no different than any other large sensor camera, in that you will have to stabilize the camera body in order to shoot smooth shots. Here's what I use for this job:

Manfroto 561BHDV-1 Video Monopod

Manfrotto 595B Fig Rig Camera Stabilizer

Zacuto AF-100 Shoulder Mount

The Manfroto video monopod is very handy. It's small and produces very smooth movements.

The Manfroto FigRig also works well, though you it's difficult to hold and operate camera controls at the same time. Remote Focus/Iris control helps to solve this problem. The FigRig is completely made out of aluminum, which makes it much lighter than you would think.

Lastly is the Zacuto should mount. This is the best shoulder mount that I've ever used, and one of the few that will properly balance a complete camera rig on your shoulder. I am slowly buying all the pieces to complete this rig, as it's pretty expensive to buy it all in one go.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 25, 2011 at 8:46:15 pm

Thanx Guy,

yes, I thought of some of those as well. The FigRig I used before, but for a Cam like the AF101 it's indeed not very handy - Iris and Focus get out of reach. I shot also with a shoulder mount before, and it was not realyl my cup of tea. It keeps you to much on one level and I am a fan of weird perspectives, Dutch Angles and low shots. But the MonoPod seems to be a good idea. The one you mentioned seems fantastic. For now I might rent it, but it looks like a good investment for my own gear.
Did you ever should really full handhold with that Camera without IS? If yes, what was your experience with it?

Thanx.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Nov 25, 2011 at 10:53:11 pm

The basic fundamentals of hand held apply to any camera.
Balance is the key to stability, technique makes the difference between average and great.
The AF 102 is not a well balanced camera, so use what you can to achieve better balance.
Shoulder mounts will help, but throw balance off when you go from your shoulder to hand held.
The lack of IS just means your technique has to be good.
It's not impossible, you just have to work harder at it.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:00:16 am

Thanx for the thoughts.
I think, I will go again to the Rental House and do some test shooting once more to see how much I can handle the "Tea Pot" and keep it smooth and stable.
I also think of getting a MonoPod with Fluid Head - seems like a good compromise of staying mobile and stable.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Nov 26, 2011 at 11:12:56 am

Check with your rental house if they have an Easy Rig.
Very useful on jobs when you have lots of varying handheld camerawork.
Can be used on the shoulder and from various hand held positions comfortably while transferring the cameras weight to your hips rather than just you arms an shoulder.(http://www.easyrig.se/)

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 26, 2011 at 1:34:29 pm

I checked it on their website: It is this backpack kind of thing, no? I see them being used more and more recently. Never tried it myself. To be honest, it always looked a bit like another "geek toy" to me.
How is it though? It really stabalizes? It's working good?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:16:04 pm

It works well, with some practice it can achieve stedicam-like results.
I use a monopod too at times, though I must say the results with a monopod are less like "handheld" and more like "float on a tripod".
The monopod is good for quick relocates and "float" style shooting. For lateral hand held movement with simple stabilization the easy rig is good tool.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:55:27 pm

Yes, I've used the AF-100 with my FigRig and was very happy with my shots, but you really need a second person to pull-focus and make adjustments when shooting, which is very awkward.

The Video Monopod I mentioned also works really well, and gives you one free hand to operate the camera. Here's a quick video that demos a few ways to use this monopod:

How to Use a Video MonoPod

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:13:23 pm

nice video! very interesting tool.
Unfortunately here in Israel, it won't be 300 dollars, but more to 500-600.
I hope, my rental house has it in stock.

Thanx again for the info.

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:54:49 am

Handheld is probably one of the biggest issues with all these type of cameras. I have been trying to build a shoulder mount for months and have come to a pretty good place with one but for handheld the old ENG camera cant be beat.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

John Bollenbacher
on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:27:05 pm

Sascha,

Did you ever get an answer to your orignial question? I'm about to head out on a new doc project and I'm probably going to get the AF101 for it. I'm also curious if anyone has shot handheld with lenses with IS and without and if they noticed any difference in the footage. This would help me decide if I need to buy a lumix lens with the camera with IS or if I can use the Olympus micro 4/3s I already have. Good luck with your project.

John

John Bollenbacher
10engines

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 13, 2012 at 12:38:00 pm

HI John,

no I never got an answer, but by now, I did shoot the doc by now with the AF101 with lenses without IS.
I had a wider and a tele lens (14-55, 100-300 I think).
Since I shot about a dance festival, I had also a lot of shows shot from a tripod.
The handhold things were ok, but on the edge - even though I have a very calm hand for handhold.
With the tele lens it becomes Blairwitch Project on Alzheimer.
If that is the look you are going for, then it's ok ;-)
I just shot some small doc on The little Panasonic TM900 - a little miracle camera, of which I am the happy owner now.
When I used the fantastic IS of this small beast, I realized how tough it was without.
If you go for handheld work and you have a zoomlens on it, go for the IS, you safe yourself a lot of headache!

Sascha

Return to posts index

John Bollenbacher
on Jan 13, 2012 at 1:32:10 pm

Thanks Sascha,

That had been my experience with my hacked GH1, but I wasn't sure if it was the hack I was using. I was hoping to save the $600 or so for the panny IS lens, but I guess there is no avoiding it. BlairWitch with Alzheimer's is a bit to vérité for me.

John Bollenbacher
10engines

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]