FORUMS: list search recent posts

AG160 Footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Fulcher
AG160 Footage
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:07:07 pm

Hey All,

This past Saturday was my first real shoot day with my new AC160 setup. I have to say, I am loving it, despite being a little off put at first with the cheap feeling switchgear. I would like to share with you some selects from the day here: http://vimeo.com/groups/ac160/videos/32491295

I've created this Panasonic AG-AC160 Users Group on Vimeo (not to pull anybody away from here, just to have a way to post HD video).
Feel free to join in and share your experience and samples... I know when I purchased the camera a few weeks ago, there wasn't much in the way of demo footage floating about the internet.

Cheers!
-greg fulcher-

1013media | produce. edit. enable.
San Francisco, CA | http://www.1013media.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
Re: AG160 Footage
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:04:52 pm

Hey Greg, thanks for the post and putting some of your stuff on Vimeo. I enjoyed watching it. We recently received our 160P as well, unfortunately I have not had a chance to really test it out. At the moment I'm trying to decide what format to generally standardize on. 1080 at 30p or 24p.

The only test I've done was a walking shot to our LED lit Christmas tree, no other lights, then just tilting up and down the tree to see movement. At 30p it looked fine, 24p did have that slightly blurred otherworldly kind of feel, not much stuttering, but the LED lights were flickering like mad. The shutter was off, which is 1/50th. I can't figure that out since we're in a 60 hertz country and I'm shooting 60 hertz why any lights would flicker, but it must be a 24p thing.

What's also got me wondering is on this camera 24p is native, so no pulldown, if I understand correctly. Would that make it a stronger choice or is it irrelevant? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Greg Fulcher
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:16:38 am

Hey there Christopher...

Glad you found the footage useful. I'll be posting more in the coming weeks & days (so feel free to check back or join the group and share your results, too).

I've not dabbled with 24p yet, only 1080i60 and 1080p30. Unless there's a specific request to shoot with 24p, or a particular effect, I'll likely stick with 1080p30, as it is versatile and playback is smooth. Also, VFR is enabled for non-60fps formats. I've only had opportunity to snag a couple of shots using VFR, at 60fps in 30p mode and have to say it looks damn fine. I'm uploading right now a clip to the group with those two shots (some crows flying around a radio tower at full-zoom and a jogger also at full optical zoom and then at 2x digital).

So, the flickering: I've found that when OIS is on, there are some issues with some types of shots. If it was indeed on, I would try turning it off and see if its a byproduct of that. I turn it off for any tripod shot, actually.

Also, out of the box, the auto/manual/infinity focus switch isn't as it seems. When in manual mode, a few seconds after you focus, it would go and try to fine-tune, sometimes missing the mark entirely. You have to go into the menus and turn it off... Strange, but true. I forget the exact setting... don't have the camera here in front of me.

Could you post the footage to the vimeo group?

Cheers,
-greg

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
on Nov 24, 2011 at 3:19:15 am

Hey Greg,
Look forward to seeing more stuff. Thanks again for taking the time to do it. I'll post some clips when I have a real chance to test it out.

On the 24P flicker. I did a quick visual test and apparently it was the combination of 24P and the shutter being turned off (aka at 1/50th in Panasonic speak). Interesting that Panasonic strangely recommends in the manual (Pg23 vol2) for anything shot progressive to turn the shutter off, but never tells you why. When I change the shutter to 1/60th at 24P the LED Christmas light flicker goes away. I was chatting with a friend today that shoots DSLR and only in 24p. He's seen the flicker on street lamps and just dials his shutter till its gone.

Hey, on the LCD monitor I noticed the default only shows 90%, I like to see 100%. Have you played around with the settings?

I wasn't sure about the setting you were writing about turning off, but I've change a lot of defaults, so I may have already hit that one.

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Dec 10, 2011 at 1:26:33 am

Hey Greg,

I love the footage I just put in my order for my 160. Can you tell me what "cheap feeling" switch gear you are talking about?

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

Greg Fulcher
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:44:57 am

Hey Mikey,

Just now reading this and your question... I posted a more comprehensive comment on the form-factor topic here:

http://vimeo.com/groups/ac160/forumthread:249526

I've also since uploaded two more test videos, with more to come... Glad you ordered one up! You'll be thrilled with it, and I'd love to see your results and commentary on the vimeo group and here, as well.

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jan 6, 2012 at 2:36:37 am

What brand memory cards are you using for you 160?

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!
Download Free Effects/Transitions/Generators for Final Cut Pro X

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
on Jan 6, 2012 at 4:28:45 am

We're using the Panasonic SDHC cards that are recommended for the camera, though we did look are other possibilities.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]