FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfer af100 files from card to hard drive?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Baker
Transfer af100 files from card to hard drive?
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:13:38 am

I'll be working w/the af100. I need to do a straight transfer of the files from shot cards to client hard drives. I'll have a card reader w/ the package. When working with P2 cards I can create a file on the hd for each card transfer & drag the card info to the file on the hd. Can I do this drag & drop method with the af100 or is there something else I need to do?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Transfer af100 files from card to hard drive?
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:19:43 am

Are you on a Mac or PC? I generally do a full image of the card- that way you get everything.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ted Baker
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:26:19 am

I'll be using a Mac to copy files. Are you saying it's ok to bring the files across as long as I bring all of them?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:57:24 am

If you're on a Mac- I'd suggest loading the card and using the Disk Utility application (in your Utilities folder) to image the entire card to a disk image. Then you'll be all set.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:04:48 pm

Just remember to lock the SD cards before you insert them into the reader.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:49:09 pm

I use ShotPut Pro to verify that every bit was transferred correctly.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:02:52 pm

I did it manually hundred of times. Just lock the card and check that the structure betwen the card and the copy you just made is the same. I mean if you don't have the 100 usd that the program costs, if you have the money then buy it. :)

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:41:34 am

We've just switch from shooting HD on tape to SDHC on a Panasonic AG-AC160P. I had been talking to the folks that make Shotput Pro at NAB and just downloaded a trial to test.

I know it does a verify of the data being copied to a hard drive, among other things. I assumed that would be critically important. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:59:04 am

I did it literally almost 1200 times (download SDHC Cards with a Macbook Pro 13) with the AG AF100 being data wrangler in a TV show without using Shot Put Pro, just locking the card and checking that the structure of the card and the downloaded material was the same, not once there was a problem. I also checked the MTS files with roxio video player at first then with the Panasonic plug in.

But then again the program would save you a lot of time doing the checking for you and erasing the cards when you finish the copy (although I think is better to erase the card in the camera itself), preventing that you accidentally erase an already used folder, writing reports, autoname of folders, etc.

So like I said before if you have the money use the program if not is unlikely that you will have any problem as long as you keep yourself organize and always remember to lock the cards.
That is my experience with AG AF100 and I have also downloaded Canon 5D and 7D without using Shot Put Pro with no problems so far but maybe I just been lucky, so please check for more advise :)

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:13:05 pm

Really appreciate your feedback. Thanks. I've certainly copied gb of video from one hard drive to another over the years and so far no problems. Though I must admit I have always been a bit concerned anyway. I do know the file structures are critical here with the tapeless workflow. I may just use it for an extra safeguard. Maybe it's the old boy scout in me :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]