FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clipwrap & AVCHD workflow

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Murphy
Clipwrap & AVCHD workflow
on Oct 30, 2011 at 10:00:18 pm

I've recently bought Clipwrap to manage AVCHD files. My big problem with these files (at least on the AF100) is that the simple numbering system the camera uses causes my editing workflow be more difficult to manage. I use Premiere, and duplicate filenames can cause lots of confusion, especially when trying to re-link media.

So, even though I could import AVCHD as is, I use Clipwrap to both preserve original time code and allow me to rename clips to something more friendly for cataloging, archiving, and editing functions (I'm only re-wrapping, not re-compressing the media). I'm also using a filename utility for changing file names, and yes, I'm also saving the original media, exactly as stored on the original cards, in a separate location, just in case.

Since I'm new to this application, I'd be interested in hearing any input from others on their experiences with the program, pro or con. So far I've found it to be simple, and fast. My only complaint is that it doesn't run under Windows.

Finally I'd like to invite comment on this general strategy for media workflow. Is this the best approach, or are there alternatives that might be quicker, easier, or more reliable.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Clipwrap & AVCHD workflow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:58:38 pm

I generally organize at the reel level and leave the original camera names untouched- which is the best way to preserve file and card image integrity. Otherwise you could risk corrupting footage. The step you're doing, I generally do once the footage is ingested into an NLE and I do it in the notes field of the clip's metadata- again to preserve the 1:1 relationship between original camera file and current loaded media. But you should find a workflow that works best for you.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:39:47 pm

After testing my strategy on selected clips I'm fairly discouraged. The re-wrapped clips seem to function pretty well on the Mac side, but after transferring them into the Windows environment things did not work nearly as well as I'd hoped.

Premiere 5.5 reported some errors on importing the .mov files, and playback was flawed by stuttering and lack of thumbnails on several clips. In short these were definitely not edit ready files.

I sent a message to Clipwrap support requesting advice or assistance. The reply was prompt and very to the point:

"Unfortunately we don't have a fix for this - Quicktime for Windows has long been neglected, so even on a fast PC the performance is terrible. I also believe that when bringing AVCHD in via a wrapper other than MTS, you lose out on some specific optimizations Adobe has built in to Premiere for windows to improve h264 decoding."

They also offered a refund, which I thought was a very stand-up gesture on the part of the outfit.

So, Noah, it looks like your approach is my best option at this point. Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by "organize at the reel level"? Also what's your opinion about using something like Cineform Neoscene to transcode the media to a more portable format? A fair share of my media files will be delivered to clients for further editing.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:22:18 pm

i.e. you rename reels (or cards) I generally go by day and reel number. So for a given production I'll have D01R01- indicating the first reel (or card) of the first day of a production. Then that will go into it's own directory for the whole project. And if I'm shooting multiple cameras it will be CAMA_D01R01, etc. Start with the 01 or you'll have issues sorting by number. Hope that helps.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]