FORUMS: list search recent posts

AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp issue - Problematic for Legal Videography industry

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Downie
AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp issue - Problematic for Legal Videography industry
on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:35:36 pm

Since there isn't an area for the new AC160 yet, I'm going to post this here with the hopes that someone with Panasonic will see it.

I am a legal videographer and have used an old Sony PD170 for 7 years. It was time to get something new and I came across the new AC160. From what I had heard around the industry and read and seen online, this was going to be the perfect camera. The thing that Panasonics can do which many others can't is burn the time/date stamp into the video without having to do so in post. This feature is specifically marketed to legal videographers. Anyway, I sold my baby, an EX1R, to get this camera and it finally arrived yesterday. This morning I am setting it up and I notice that it will burn the time/date, as advertised, but it burns it about 1/3 of the way up the screen. For this line of work, it's way too high. It will most likely cut off part of the witnesses chin, or be a distraction at the very least. I posted in several different forums asking if it could be lowered somewhere within the menu system. I got a response back from Panasonic saying that it couldn't. Honestly, this is a kick in the teeth for people in my industry who were waiting on this camera. If this feature is marketed to the legal video industry, why not place it where it will not be an issue? Panasonic has dropped the ball on this one, big time. I cannot recommend this camera for deposition work for this reason. I'm sure this would be an easy firmware fix that could be resolved with a few lines of code. Unfortunately I will be returning my camera this week.

James Downie, CLVS
Blufish Media
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Aj Simeone
Re: AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp issue - Problematic for Legal Videography industry
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:54:04 pm

I'm also a legal videographer and received the camera last week. I was very disappointed once seeing where the time stamp was placed on the video. I honestly don't see how it could be considered a good spot for a time stamp regardless of the application. I'm still debating on returning it or waiting for a firmware update. I just don't see how it would not be changed in the future. Hopefully sooner than later. It certainly is a huge disappointment considering how long I've held off on replacing a camera for this to be released as it had so many features that benefit my field and not being able to put it to work immediately.

Return to posts index

James Downie
Re: AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp issue - Problematic for Legal Videography industry
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:13:55 pm

I agree on the placement. How would the location be good in ANY application? I emailed some people with Panasonic and will hopefully hear something back soon. I don't want to send it back, but I might have no choice.

James Downie
Blufish Media
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:16:39 pm

Have you tried contacting Jan Crittenden Livingston about this?

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

She posts in this forum. Just search on her name.

- Guy

Return to posts index

James Downie
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:25:12 pm

Her and others. So far, no help.

James Downie
Blufish Media
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

TB Productions
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:22:19 pm

Does anybody know the going rate for shooting legal depositions in a city of 600k?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]