FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to convert 1920x1080 to SD?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac Caudill
Possible to convert 1920x1080 to SD?
on Oct 2, 2011 at 11:18:07 pm

I recently purchased a GH2 camera but my computer is a PowerPC (non-Intel) so I cannot import/edit any HD footage (until I upgrade my computer).

In the meantime, is it possible to shoot HD 24p footage on the camera but convert it to an SD format for editing, maybe using a 3rd party app (Compressor?)? Or is this impossible on a PowerPC period.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Possible to convert 1920x1080 to SD?
on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:57:52 am

AVCHD requires a computer with a fairly powerful processor. I would not consider using anything less than an Intel i5 or i7 processor. The new Mac Mini would fit the bill.

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Oct 3, 2011 at 5:16:31 pm

Yes, I'm anticipating buying an Intel machine in the coming months. But until then, is there a way to downgrade the footage to an SD format (like Quicktime) so that I can edit it on a PowerPC, or are there no apps that do that?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:22:40 pm

Try MPEG-Streamclip-

http://www.squared5.com/

Fair warning- this is an incredibly slow and painful workflow. Even the lowliest iMac you can get in the store today will run circles around it.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Oct 4, 2011 at 7:44:43 pm

I have MPEG Streamclip...I'll give it a shot!

I hear ya, Noah. I've been holding out for the new Mac Pro update, especially if it has Thunderbolt ports as the rumor mill says. Many years ago when I bought my current G5 PowerPC, literally a month later they released their first Intel chip machine. I don't wanna make that mistake again ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]