FORUMS: list search recent posts

First use of AF100; any gotchas?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
First use of AF100; any gotchas?
on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:46:28 pm

I'm renting an AF100 for a shoot tomorrow. I haven't used one yet, but I owned an HVX200 for several years and have been shooting with a Panasonic GH2 for the last 9 months. I understand that operationally the AF100's are quite similar to the HVX200. And, obviously, all the lenses I'm using with my GH2 will cross over perfectly. Anything to look out for? Will the AF100 output HDMI and SDI simultaneously? It would be cool to monitor on both my SmallHD DP6 and my BT-LH1700W.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
Re: First use of AF100; any gotchas?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 3:23:51 pm

In the menu turn of lens check. If its on and you use any other lens thats not a Lumix its black. No signal. That was the first gotchas for me.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 5, 2011 at 3:56:20 pm

Thanks, Erik. The shoot is long since over :) but I appreciate the reply! The lens check was set to "off" when I picked the camera up, so that was nice. I think the shoot went well, although I haven't reviewed all the footage or done any editing yet. I was able to use my new Olympus - M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 Lens; got some great shots with it. I really enjoyed using the AF100 –particularly the ability to easily change the frame rate with the little scroll wheel on the back. I was able to monitor via HDMI and SDI simultaneously, which is very cool. Unfortunately, the build quality seems to be a step down from the HVX200. The scroll wheel, memory card cover and the hand grip all seem very cheap and plasticky. The image looks great, though; that's the most important thing.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Dennis Wiener
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:49:46 am

One big gotcha when using variable frame rate is that audio is not recorded when in that mode

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Sep 5, 2011 at 4:12:18 pm

Avoid Cinelike matrix, it is noisy for some reason. Norm 2 matrix is cleanest, but I prefer Norm 1 color point wise, and is almost as clean.

Coring at +2 will offer a cleaner image, but can make banding more obvious and will reduce detail.

Avoid shooting flat fields when possible, as they show banding artifacts.

I set detail at -4, as well as chroma. The former for a quieter, more filmic image, the latter to reduce the chroma clipping issue.

I actually think recording externally is not as good for hiding noise as the internal codec, although color space will be superior, as well as having less compression.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]