FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sloppy Mount

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Hommeyer
Sloppy Mount
on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:21:20 pm

I'm thinking about getting an AF100. The price is right and it will allow me to use prime lenses. Not crazy bout the codex but I will probably output to an AJA or nanoFlash recorder much of the time. The thing that really bugs me is that there is play in the lens mount. Both lenses and lens mounts jiggle slightly when mounted to the body. How are AF100 users dealing with this? Is there a shim or flange out there that can fix this? It's the one thing holding me back. Please advise.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Sloppy Mount
on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:33:47 pm

The AVCHD CODEC is actually a lot better than you think it is. There have been lots of folks who bought an external recorder because they thought it would make a big difference, and then found that the internal AVCHD CODEC is great for just about anything, even green-screen work. It does require good software and a powerful CPU ( Intel i7 is the top choice ), but once you are set up things go smoothly.

Which lens adapter do you own ?

There is a huge range of Micro 4/3 adapters that go from quite crappy ( $30 - $50 ) units, to the mid-range ( $90 - $200 ), to the heavy duty professional. ( $200 - $400 )

I bought the Voightlander M4/3 to Nikon F mount adapter which is VERY SOLID, though at some point I am going to spend $400 on an Adaptimax M4/3 adapter to use with Nikon G lenses like the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 which is a fairly big lens for M4/3 cameras.

Return to posts index

Will Hommeyer
on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:49:20 pm

I tried the Genus Canon lens adapter with built in iris that sells for $185. I also tried an Arri PL adapter for Zeiss Super Speed lenses. The Arri adapter was much better but even the 14-140 zoom lens that comes with the AF100 has a little movement in the mount.

Maybe it's not a huge problem but it must effect the image when it moves as you zoom & focus.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Aug 11, 2011 at 12:06:32 am

[Will Hommeyer] "Maybe it's not a huge problem but it must effect the image when it moves as you zoom & focus."

Hmmm... So far I haven't experienced any movement with my Voighlander Nikon F adapter and Zeiss ZF lenses.

I also owned the ciecio7 FD adapter for a month when I was considering Canon FD lenses, and that M4/3 mount was the tightest adapter I've ever used. I almost thought that it was maybe too tight, as the fit was ROCK SOLID before fully rotating and clicking in to place.

Return to posts index

Will Hommeyer
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:04:44 am

Good to hear. I have about six Canon FD lens. Are they a viable option for the AF100? It sounds like you steered away from them.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Aug 11, 2011 at 11:33:40 am

I was trying to decide between buying Canon FD lenses or buying Nikon AI-S lenses, so I wanted to try both before making a decision. In the end I went with Nikon AI-S because they will fit just about any kind of camera body. ( 2 years from now I might be using a Sony or Canon camera body )

The FD lens adapter I tried out is this one:

ciecio7 Canon FD M4/3 Adapter $80

...Which is one of the best I've ever used. Very SOLID design, machined out of one piece of aluminum, and features a built-in tripod mount. The fit is very tight, so nothing moves once it's on the camera.

Return to posts index

Will Hommeyer
on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:16:22 pm

I'm trying a Novoflex 4/3 to Canon FD lens adapter. The iris isnt working. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Aug 14, 2011 at 12:54:20 pm

My previous post has a link for the ciecio7 Canon FD M4/3 Adapter, and at the bottom of the ciecio7 eBay page there is a video that shows how to properly mount an FD lens to the adapter so that the manual iris will still work correctly.

Return to posts index

Bill Latka
on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:18:55 am

We use a Lumix DMW-MA1 adapter with our Olympus Zuiko zooms on the AF-100 and it's rock solid. Never an issue. Heavier lenses, like our 35-100 have to be supported, though.

--
Bill Latka
Rivet Entertainment
Building awareness.
Building change.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]