FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm thinking of shooting this project in 720p. Is that a good idea?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
I'm thinking of shooting this project in 720p. Is that a good idea?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:54:09 am

I'm about to start shooting a short doc that I hope to get screened at festivals. I have access to archival footage of my subject that is almost all is SD and 4:3. I also want to use photographs.

I'm thinking of shooting in 720p/24fps with my HMC-150. Here's my thinking: Almost all the audio and much of the footage is going to be from an extended interview of the subject, and this footage will essentially undergird the film. I want to shoot in HD and hopefully use it, but this way I can downgrade if need be. Shooting in 720 will make it less jarring to upscale the archival footage if I go HD than if I did it in 1080. The 24fps is because I just prefer that look over 30fps. Moreover, I'll be shooting b-roll and I'm thinking that some of it I might want to put in slo-mo. Shooting in 720p means I can go to 60p and slow it down without much blur as opposed to shooting in 1080 where 60fps is interlaced.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. I'm still new to this game and have much to learn.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: I'm thinking of shooting this project in 720p. Is that a good idea?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:06:42 am

[Noam Osband] " I have access to archival footage of my subject that is almost all is SD and 4:3."
[Noam Osband] ". The 24fps is because I just prefer that look over 30fps."
Then you will need to blow-up, deinterlace (?) and change the time-base of your archival footage. to match the p24 stuff.
The p24 stuff will look great, the archival footage will not.
I would think about shooting the same time base of the archival.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 9, 2011 at 4:15:19 pm

I just vastly prefer 24fps. And given the fact the movie is just focused solely on one person, i actually think the shift between different frame speeds might be aesthetically good. we shall see....

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Aug 10, 2011 at 6:21:02 pm

I would shoot 720p30. This way the frame rate matches. And the uprezzing is less than if you shoot 1080.

Mixed frame rates are a big deal unless you have hardware cross-conversion. I've done mixed frame rate, using compressor as my cross conversion tool. It's noticeable. It doesn't look good. Why take the hassle and why downgrade your film?

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:13:10 pm

Trevor,

i think you convinced me.

That said, I still want to shoot in 60fps when i can so i have the option of slo mo. Is it easy to turn 60fps into 30fps?

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:56:26 pm

Yeah, as far as I can tell, it seems to be pretty straight forward. I'd recommend spending a few hours to run a few tests. You can play with shooting various shutter speeds to see if you like the motion blur. You can shoot at 1/60th of a second, or even 1/48th of a second (if the camera allows it).

-tw

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:48:22 pm

[Noam Osband] " Is it easy to turn 60fps into 30fps?"
Just need to "Conform" with CinemaTools.
No rendering, no quality lost; best slow ever.
But do it always on a duplicated clip.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Aug 13, 2011 at 1:43:40 pm

To be clear, the word "convert" that you used can be taken two different ways:

1. "Convert" 60fps footage to 30fps footage, so that a one minute clip continues to play out at one minute and any audio plays normally and there is no speed change.
2. "Convert" 60fps to 30fps footage, so that a one minute clips now plays at two minutes, essentially becoming a speed change of 50%. This is what CONFORM does. If you shot 1 second of footage at 60 fps then you have 60 frames of footage. You can conform that clip to a 30fps clips, in which case, you still have 60 frames. It will take 2 seconds to go through all the frames. Or you can conform it to 24fps, in which case it will take 2.5 seconds to go through all the frames.

The CONFORM process doesn't remove frames or convert a frame rate to another frame rate.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]