FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has AVCHD quality improved in last couple years?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Has AVCHD quality improved in last couple years?
on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:07:44 pm

Hi folks!
I'm considering purchasing a new camera and am wondering whether to go with HDV or AVCHD. I love the workflow afforded by the latter. However, I suspect I'd get better quality with HDV, since (from what I've read) it uses less compression. I currently have an AVCHD camera (an inexpensive Canon HF10) which I purchased a couple of years ago, but the signal seems a bit weak by the time I've finished editing and put it on DVD. I'm wondering would my final product have a stronger signal with one of the newer, 3-chip AVCHD cameras (such as the HMC150). In other words, has AVCHD technology gotten better over the last two years? Any thoughts?
(Note: when I say the signal seems a bit weak, what I mean is that when I watch the final production on DVD, the image seems as though it's about to start to shudder/twitch... though it, for the most part, holds together. I wonder if this is because I'm starting with an AVCHD file... and if I'd get a more robust image if I used HDV).
Thanks so very much for your input/advice! FYI: Using MacBook Pro and Final Cut Express.
Vic

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Has AVCHD quality improved in last couple years?
on Jul 29, 2011 at 1:23:07 pm

There is a big difference between professional AVCHD cameras like the Panasonic HMC-150, AC-130, AC-160, Sony NX5U, and the consumer AVCHD cameras.

Professional AVCHD beats HDV by a mile, but you have to know what you are doing.

Also, there are some very good high end consumer AVCHD cameras that produce a very high quality image that is close in quality to the Pro cameras: Canon G-10, Canon XA-10, Panasonic TM-700, Panasonic TM-900, Sony CX700V, Sony CX560V

One thing to keep in mind is that all blu-ray discs use AVCHD encoding for video, so proper AVCHD video can be about as good as it gets for playback.

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:36:49 pm

Thanks very much, Guy. That helps me a lot in deciding which way to go. I feel like HDV is on the way out, technologically (though, still a high quality format). I don't want to buy "old" technology, and I really like the workflow of AVCHD (log and transfer is fast and easy). Thanks very much, again. Looks like I'll be going with AVCHD!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:14:54 pm

HDV is pretty much out- AVCHD is definitely the modern day format. And it's been improving and will continue to, for example-

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11071105avchd2p0.asp

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]