FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-camera light for use outdoors at night

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
On-camera light for use outdoors at night
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:58:03 pm

I'm looking for an on-camera light for use outdoors at night for my HMC-150. I have seen many suggestions/threads for lights, but I'm not sure which ones would be good for nightime lighting. I'm not even sure what makes a light good for nighttimes lighting, but i figured someone here might have an idea.....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: On-camera light for use outdoors at night
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:27:53 pm

Are you looking for that "TV reporter live shot at night" look?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:41:09 pm

i guess. although i dont own a tv and havent watched network news in ages so it's hard for me to envision what that looks like. It's doc stuff I shoot so I assume I'll always be within 5 feet of the subject. I dont have a budget to get anything that's going to light me farther away. I'll going to be following someone around for a bit in August filming them for a week, so I want to be able to get useable footage at night if we're some place with no lighting. Would more information be helpful? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:04:21 pm

As long as you understand that just about the ONLY things you'll see will be in the foreground, you'll be okay.

Shooting in a park at night? You'll see people against black, not the lovely trees in the background.

Shooting on a city street at night? The color temperatures of lights in the background probably won't match your camera light, and objects in the background will probably be dim... if they're even recognizable at all.

You'd better go try a light out with your camera before you jump into the deep end of the pool, or you could be greatly disappointed with your footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:09:04 pm

Yeah it's a deer in the headlights look you'll end up with- not ideal.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:18:03 pm

I'm not disagreeing with Dave's or Noah's advice, but from what you described, it sounds like slap a high-wattage Frezzi with dimmer on your cam, get what you get and do the best you can with it in post ... omfg!! did I just say "fix it in post"!!!?. That's never a great (or cheap) solution, but sometimes it's the only solution.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:51:29 pm

If you want something very affordable, you should take a look at the LED lights from CoolLCD.com. They are light, bright, modular, can use rechargeable battery packs, and low cost.

Cool LCD LED Lights

Return to posts index

Frank Sorensen
on Jul 23, 2011 at 9:38:10 pm

Have a look at the Lowel Blender 3000-5000K http://www.lowel.com/blender But it's still LED and that's just not super for TV production because of the Color Rendering Index

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 24, 2011 at 6:29:02 pm

Checkout Alzo Video's on-camera lights. We have the 790L. It's flexible, dimmable, comes with various filters and the price is very competitive. And it works off-camera, too. It's handy when you need to hide a light in a car or on a set.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:20:45 pm

I think I've decided on the Comer 1800 light. I do have a question about color temperature with on-camera LED lights. The Comer does 4500 and 3200 but other lights have a greater range of temepratures. That said, I'm not sure I need that range. I'm thinking long term here and maybe I would need the range that something like the Ikan Multi-K gives.

Any thought on this matter would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Frank Sorensen
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:29:13 pm

Do you know the CRI on that sungun.. DON'T buy a sungun under CRI 80.

I never use LED light under CRI 85.

Return to posts index

Sam Red
on Jan 8, 2013 at 12:02:08 am

Indeed check on CRI, smaller cheaper LEDs tend to spike sharply on the green channel inherently... you can always gel to color correct it, but you will drop the light output a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]