FORUMS: list search recent posts

can Panasonic HM-150 shoot in Standard def?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilles Gagnon
can Panasonic HM-150 shoot in Standard def?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:17:24 pm

This may be a silly question but am new with my 150 (from a dvx)

can I use this camera to shoot in standard def? for instance if the output will be to standard DVD and I want to edit "quicker"?

CHeers,

Gilles

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: can Panasonic HM-150 shoot in Standard def?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:16:37 pm

Nope but really the difference in data rates and 'quickness' is minimal. And an HD source will result in a better quality standard definition DVD. Not too mention you'll be able to do things like scale shots up to 200% while still maintaining quality.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:22:26 pm

Thanks Noah,

Good point on the scaling.

my concern re: quickness was related to my CPU working hard and editing not being as fast as it used to be when I was using SD with my DVX100. (Sony Vegas)

I was looking for a way to work more efficiently if i'm shooting for the web or DVD.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:53:50 pm

Yeah that's what I mean- AVCHD HD vs. DV standard definition is very similar data rates. You wouldn't see a night and day difference.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:06:49 pm

Hey Noah,

Strange as I do see a big diff between avchd (hmc150)and DV (dvx100) editing. avchd, from my research is known to be a hog on CPU and requires a hefty one... not so with DV.

agree?

Gilles

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:47:49 pm

I suppose it all comes down to system processor. I have a MacBook Air and I routinely cut AVCHD projects in FCP. But your mileage may vary. I'd invest in more RAM or what have you vs shortchanging your projects by shooting SD.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]