FORUMS: list search recent posts

AF 100 File Management

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Murphy
AF 100 File Management
on Jul 17, 2011 at 7:00:31 pm

I'm working on a project in Premiere CS5 that is using AF100 footage. This is my first time working with AVCHD media. My problem concerns the apparent protocol that the camera uses to name files. Since the sequential clip numbering seems to repeat with each card, the number of identically named files in my project is growing daily. This makes me uncomfortable since I don't think Premiere is smart enough to know the difference between one "000005.mts" and it's identically named brother. Especially if, on opening a project, Premiere can't find a clip.

Is it possible to change the name of the .mp4 clips without severing the relationship of the clip to the data files in the clip's folder? Is there a utility that permits this?

Or alternately, is there a way to set the camera up so that each clip get's a unique filename?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AF 100 File Management
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:31:36 am

Don't do that- keep it organized by reels- i.e. name a folder 07172011_R01 and then put everything from one card into that and so on. Then mirror that structure in Premiere. Do not rename at the clip level or you will break metadata.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Jul 24, 2011 at 4:29:41 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Is there any way to configure the camera to avoid this overly simple approach to file naming?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 24, 2011 at 6:41:19 pm

Another suggestion is Shotput Pro which will manage off-loading, naming folders, byte-by-byte verification and more. IMHO, the verification capability makes it a must use when we offload cards. And you can simultaneously offload to multiple drives if you're as crazy as I about having multiple backups.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Jul 25, 2011 at 7:50:21 pm

Thanks John,

This looks exactly like what I was hoping to find. A simple utility that allows for off-loading and filename manipulation without compromising the rather complicated file dependancies of AVCHD and similar media. On both Mac and PC. Even better.

Return to posts index

J. c. Berger
on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:21:48 pm

So there isn't really a way to make the camera name the files off a continuous count?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]