FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zacuto - great camera shootout 2011 – AF101 / 100 – why the flickering?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel De Avila
Zacuto - great camera shootout 2011 – AF101 / 100 – why the flickering?
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:10:41 pm

Hello

I’m sure this series has been making the rounds:
http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011/episode-one

For those who have watched it…. during the underexposed tests, the AF100 / 101 seems to be producing a lot of flicker and noise around the table light. Most of the other cameras didn’t seem to be affected as badly.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Lower bit rate of the recording camera? Odd frequency of the bulb? Stop asking silly questions...?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Zacuto - great camera shootout 2011 – AF101 / 100 – why the flickering?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:13:28 am

Probably a bad choice of exposure time. Insufficient bitrate would normally just generate blocks of pixels, smearing of motion or similar effects.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 17, 2011 at 5:02:30 pm

This is a must see for people thinking of using large sensor digital cameras. I'm not a DP and this shootout opened my eyes to many camera parameters and how they inter-relate. All the cameras have strengths and weaknesses, and knowing them allows us to get the most from a particular camera. I look forward to the next episode in this shootout series.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Daniel De Avila
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:06:08 am

Hello

I asked the same question at Zacuto’s forum.

There rely;

“The light on the table is a Compact Florescent Lightbulb, or CFL. These lights flicker out of sync with the shutter, which is why some cameras flicker with it. The shutter speed was kept at 180 degrees or the closest available equivelent on all of the cameras.”

So…

And yes, it is a very good series - well worth watching. Apparently the next episode comes out on the 20th of July.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]