FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AF100....Canon or Nikon lenses?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Pancer
Panasonic AF100....Canon or Nikon lenses?
on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:51:23 pm

So I'm loving the Panasonic AF100, but I'm a bit torn as to which direction to go with lenses....Canon or Nikon.

From my research so far (I might be off here....)

From what I've been told is that Nikon has the same mount for auto and manual, and you can control aperture. Canon has a different mount for auto and manula, and you can't control aperture.

Is this true?
Any recommendations of Canon lenses VS Nikon lenses?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Panasonic AF100....Canon or Nikon lenses?
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:44:14 pm

Older Canon FD lenses have full manual aperture control, and can be found fairly cheaply on eBay. These FD lenses DO NOT WORK with the newer EOS Canon cameras, so they would only be useful for Micro 4/3 cameras with an appropriate adapter. ( like the great adapter made by cicero7 which you can find on eBay )

Newer Canon EF lenses have no manual aperture control, so they are not a great choice for Micro 4/3 cameras, at least until electronic aperture controls become common. ( still waiting for the first electronic adapter to hit the market )

Nikon AI-S lenses have full manual aperture control, and can be used on both old and many new Nikon cameras, and Micro 4/3 cameras with an appropriate adapter. ( like the MetaBones, Voightlander, Novoflex, MTF Services, Adaptimax Nikon F mount adapters )

Newer Nikon G / DX lenses have no manual aperture control so you need to buy a Micro 4/3 adapter that features aperture control. ( like Novoflex, MTF Services, Adaptimax Nikon F mount adapters )

Personally, I would choose either Nikon AI-S manual lenses or older Canon FD lenses ( just make sure you buy Canon FD lenses with S.S.C. multi-coating ), that have full manual aperture control and full manual focus control.

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Jun 15, 2011 at 7:52:38 pm

Guy really covered that one well. Keep in mind the field of view on the AF-100 will make a SLR 25mm more like a 50mm.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:33:42 pm

Minolta made great manual lenses too (MC/MD Rokkor series).

Unfortunately, most old analog lenses below 35mm don't work well on µFT, so you'll always be on the portrait or tele side. Seems to be the angle of the rays and reflections from the chip – after all, film emulsion is less reflective.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Max Maier
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:06:11 am

All your posts are really a big help.
I got another tricky question for you.

Which adaptors would you suggest for the following lenses. I just found them very cheap here in Mexico. And do you think that they are worth buying it? I am looking for some adaptors which are good but quite cheap. I believe in the words of Uli.

Here they are:
Canon FD, 50mm, 1,4
Canon FD, 28-70, 3,5 (is it posible to use that zoom?)
Nikkor, 24mm, 2,8
MC Rokkor, PF, 85mm, 1,7

How do you select your adaptors? Is there any good list you found?
Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:30:29 pm

While I didn't test the Canon 50mm 1,4, it should be a nice lens, the zoom should work too, but I didn't test that either. For FD lenses you'll only need an adapter with an extra ring to close the aperture to the value you dialed in, they are a bit more expensive, about 45 U$.

The 24mm Nikkor might be not so good, since I observed more CA with all lenses shorter than 35mm, they seem to be tricky on digital sensors.

The Rokkor 85mm 1.7 is a beauty and very sought after! If it's in good condition and you get it for a good price, grab it! One of the finest portrait lenses ever made.

Adapters for older Nikkors and Rokkors are cheap, around 20 U$.

I bought all my adapters from rainbowmaging in N.Y. and they are OK. Not the quality of Novoflex, but no crap either.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Max Maier
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:39:28 pm

Which adaptors would you suggest for the following lenses. I just found them very cheap here in Mexico. And do you think that they are worth buying it? I am looking for some adaptors which are good but quite cheap. I believe in the words of Uli.

Here they are:
Canon FD, 50mm, 1,4
Nikkor, 24mm, 2,8
MC/MD Rokkor, PF, 85mm, 1,7

Return to posts index

Max Maier
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:56:12 pm

Here they are:
Canon FD, 50mm, 1,4
Nikkor, 24mm, 2,8
MC Rokkor, PF, 85mm, 1,7

I never found the Cicero7 Adaptor you mentioned. Does it really exist?

Return to posts index

Tommy Galmiche
on May 3, 2012 at 5:47:09 pm

Hey !

I've just bought the AG-AF101 and have found a used 50mm Minolta MD-Rokkor 1.7 to put on it with a MD to 4/3micro mount adapter. So, good for me... BUT ; finally it seems that, despite of the mount adapter, the lens is not compatible with my camera... I hope no, but when I mount both of the lens and adapter and start the camera, I get no picture, eiter on LCD viewer, niether in the viewfinder...

So what you think, should I sell the lens back with the ring ; thash it coz it's broken ???

Thanks for feedbacks !

Tom.

Return to posts index

Matt Pancer
on May 7, 2012 at 4:50:03 pm

Hi Tommy, I remember trying a few lenses at Henrys last year and there was an internal setting on the camera I had to change before it would recognize certain lenses. I think it was in "other Functions-Lens Check"
Hope that helps,
Matt

Return to posts index

Tommy Galmiche
on May 7, 2012 at 5:08:44 pm

Hey Matt !

Thanks a lot for this answer. Actually I found out this fonction ; indeed it was "lens check".

Tommy.

Return to posts index

Tommy Galmiche
on May 5, 2012 at 8:28:08 am

Hey !

I've just bought the AG-AF101 and have found a used 50mm Minolta MD-Rokkor 1.7 to put on it with a MD to 4/3micro mount adapter. So, good for me... BUT ; finally it seems that, despite of the mount adapter, the lens is not compatible with my camera... I hope no, but when I mount both of the lens and adapter and start the camera, I get no picture, eiter on LCD viewer, niether in the viewfinder...

So what you think, should I sell the lens back with the ring ; thash it coz it's broken ???

Thanks for feedbacks !

Tom.

Return to posts index

Matt Pancer
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:57:14 pm

Thanks for the info, looks like Nikon would be the best option and I'll keep an eye out for some old Canon lenses on Ebay

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:09:20 am

+1 for Nikon- love them and you have a much better likelihood of getting manual aperture control.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:04:49 pm

I have been using a Nikkor 50 f1.4, a 20mm f4, a 105mm f2.5 and a 28mm f2.8 all purchased in the 70s. They all work great on the af100 with an adapter of which there are many on the market. By the way, none of these lenses except for the 20mm f4 lens work on my D7000. I also use 'G' lenses from Nikon and Sigma on the AF100.

Regards,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Pancer
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:52:51 pm

Do the Nikon and Sigma G lenses work on the D7000 as well?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Cole
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:56:44 pm

The Sigma works just fine with the D7000. The 20mm works, obviously, in manual mode. The others will not mount on the D7000.

Regards,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]