FORUMS: list search recent posts

2/3 ENG 2X video lens-B4 adapter to micro 4/3 demo

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

David Speace
2/3 ENG 2X video lens-B4 adapter to micro 4/3 demo
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:46:31 am

Here is a short video demonstration I did showing how an 2/3" ENG broadcast zoom lens absolutely works with the GH1 (GH2)... the lens will also work with the AF100... but this demo is with the GH1 (I don't have the AF100 yet)! A lot of people are asking about faster zoom lenses for run and gun type eng shooting... well this is the answer! I also show how a 16mm film lens works with the GH1 (GH2) using the digital 2X in the camera menu. IF... the AF100 has a built-in digital 2x, then the 16mm lens should also work, but I don't think it does! A note...the 16mm lens is an Angenieux, I called it a Fujinon (my bad) in the video! Here it is...

I think that some of you are going to be surprised by this. The B4 adapter I use in this demo was purchased on ebay from a seller in Poland!

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: 2/3 ENG 2X video lens-B4 adapter to micro 4/3 demo
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:04:48 am

I'm not sure if you'll get full resolution that way.

Plus, the AF10X definitely has no extended zoom range (i.e. sensor crop).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:43:40 pm

Yes, it actually works... full resolution, that was the point of the demo by showing the circle projected image plane with the 4/3 and 2/3 imagers drawn to scale.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Jun 15, 2011 at 7:54:49 pm

Interesting test. I'm not sure how you would run and gun with that setup. I saw a AbelCine demo with a B4 lens on the af100 and it was huge. Would need a shoulder rig for starters and counter balance. By the time you get it all setup you could have got a Varicam. Ok maybe not. Its still fun to build a frankencam.

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/02/11/using-23-lenses-on-the-panasonic-af100/

It sure would be great if Fujinon would make a MFT ENG lens but that will probably be a long time coming.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:46:05 pm

I guess you would need a shoulder rig to truly run n gun, but if you were doing quick setups for interviews on sticks... and needed to re-frame after every question or the subject started crying and the producer wanted you to push in quickly... then you could do that with this setup and not worry about losing focus. Yes, the lens is big, but this is about the smallest 2/3" lens you can get! I saw what AbelCine did... their adapter doubles the image size... and I am not sure why they decided that was necessary... 4/3 adapter to pl mount to AbelCine B4 optical adapter... I'm assuming they have a lens in their adapter. All you need to make the lens work is have a 4/3 to B4 adapter with a 2/3" lens that has a built-in doubler... which doubles the image to the correct size for the 4/3 mos chip in the camera! I'm still looking forward to trying this setup with the AF100.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 19, 2011 at 2:55:56 pm

We have a beautiful Nikon SD lens sitting on an old Sony camera. I'm hoping to get to AbelCine in the next 2 weeks to see their adaptor in action. Also, a part of their system is the ability to operate the zoom with the remote. I'll ask why they chose the components they did. I was never thrilled with the Nikon lens in 2X. Maybe in their opinion using 2X degraded the optics. I'll report back.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Martin Pappenberger
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:27:37 pm

Hi! I´ve just found your dialog and can answer your question...

2/3" B4 ENG lenses are made for 3-Chip CCD cameras. In this cameras a prism block splits the three colors (R,G,B) to 3 different sensors. If you use this kind of lenses on a single chip camera there will be huge color aberrations to the image and you will get no good quality. The HDx2 adapter is a optical doubler and brings the image to the bigger sensor, but not only! The adapter corrects the image aberrations according to the missing prism!

There is an other issue: If you use the doubler inside the ENG lenses you will get no good image quality because the ENG lenses are made for 11mm sensors even the doubler is activated. This means the image above 11mm is not corrected by default. It is only to double the focal length on the 11mm sensor and not to make it bigger.

By the way: If you want to use ENG lenses on Super-35 cameras such as ARRI Alexa, Sony F3, RED Epic or brand new the Canon C300 or DSLR cameras, IBE-OPTICS have a HDx35 adapter which brings the image and the quality form HD Video to Super-35 sensors.

Thanks!

Martin

Return to posts index

Ricky Barnes
on Jun 3, 2014 at 11:08:56 pm

So that would work then on any Super 35mm? (which I'm including my Canon T2i)

Return to posts index

joseph pichette
on Feb 7, 2013 at 11:57:01 pm

hello you seem to know a whole lot more than i do and would like your assistance. i recently purchased a black magic cinema camera with a 2.5 crop factor chip and a mft fitting...i also have 2 gh2's...would the b4 sony pro video lenses adapt to my cameras and if so what do i need to make the connection work....also looking at canon super 16 t2 lenses with pl mount.. this i am especially interested in using with my blackmagic camera..2.4 crop factor...can anyone tell me weather this combination would work... i called bmc and there is no 2x digital multiplier in the camera at this time....thanks for your help...R

Return to posts index

Martin Pappenberger
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:56:28 am

Hi Joseph,

have a look to www. ibe-optics.com. They have the tools you need.

Return to posts index

sietse bruggeling
on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:38:33 am

Hi Martin,

So it would work on a (3ccd) dvx100b with letus adapter for example, but not on a AF101? What happens to the colors then?

I have a AF101 and I use (zeiss CP2)prime lenses. So if I want to get a close up I have change the lens or chsnge the set. When shooting documentary style or ENG this poses some problems. I use a mattebox and filters a lot, so I'm looking for a lens solution. The problem is that most zoomlensen extend, and the ones that don't are way too expensive for me (starting at $20,000.-). An old ENG lens (SD or HD) looked to me as a good solution for these problems.

What would you suggest?
Thanks
Sietse

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]