FORUMS: list search recent posts

24P mode... where?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chemix Ferreiro
24P mode... where?
on May 31, 2011 at 10:20:21 am

Well, our AF101 finally got here and I cannot find the 24P mode. Searching the menus only show 25P and 50i recording modes. Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
Re: 24P mode... where?
on May 31, 2011 at 11:30:26 am

Well, I get the 24P options if I switch the cam to 59,9 Hz but being in Europe... is that advisable at all? Furthermore, is it logical to have to switch Hz mode to record 24P? Even sd card had to be formatted. I'm lost

Thanks again

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 31, 2011 at 5:33:05 pm

I'm not positive on this but might be on the European models you only get 25p for 24/25 frame rates.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 31, 2011 at 6:05:21 pm

[Chemix Ferreiro] "I get the 24P options if I switch the cam to 59,9 Hz but being in Europe... is that advisable at all? "

It's a matter of your delivery frame rate. Will your project EVER go to film? If not, I think you'd have to be Ingmar Bergmann to tell the difference between 24p and 25p. I would stick with 25p.
Besides, Bergmann's films were shown in Europe at 25fps. It was a common practice to do so then.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 31, 2011 at 6:36:20 pm

You can do 24P in a 50Hz camera, but you will not have audio. You dial it up on the Variable Frame Rate Dial. I would suggest that you just shoot in 25P and if you ever have to convert, then do it then.

Best,

jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 31, 2011 at 7:24:56 pm

Thanks a lot for all help. The cam just got here and we are anxious about discovering what it can do. Having a Lumix GH2 (with native 24p but not 25p as of yet) as B cam, would be good to be able to shoot both cams at 24p if needed

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 31, 2011 at 9:26:39 pm

Hmm- now it sounds like you get a US model on the GH2. Shouldn't you get a European one instead? Two cameras not shooting the same frame rate will add years to your post-production life.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:13:09 am

No, unfortunately the GH2 is restricted to 24p in Europe as well ( in 25 it's interlaced).

And it's true: the AF101 will offer 24p only when set to 59,97 system frequency (don't know what they are smoking in Japan). But your recordings on the cards will be true 24p, no pull-down added. So, it doesn't really matter as long as you aren't going for external recording (like Ninja or Ki Pro).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:07:41 pm

Well you could always just move to an NTSC-compatible country then lol...

Noah

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:09:21 pm

Been there! I lived in LA for 8 years some time ago (loved it every day) coming from a small unknown island in the middle of the Atlantic, a big BIG town was mind blowing.
I think we are getting to understand a possible workflow with AF100 + GH2. will record to the cards for now until I discover an external recorder that fits my shallow depth of pocket... ;)
I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:41:39 pm

If you record to cards in both cases, it doesn't really matter if your AF101 is working in 59.97 Hz. Work and edit in 24p (watch out for correct flagging as progressive in your NLE) and speed the final product up to 25p if you need it for European TV. This has been done to film for 80 years or so.

BTW, the GH2 is using it's highest bitrate in 24p. Plus, an external recorder won't help with this, since the stupid thing switches to 50i as soon as you connect anything to HDMI.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]