FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC40 to FCP6 novice!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Poppy Dixon
HMC40 to FCP6 novice!
on May 30, 2011 at 7:24:53 pm

Hey,
So sorry this is literally a camera/editing for dummies question, but I'm totally baffled and need some step by step guidance or a link to a really useful, simple site...

I have recently bought an HMC40. I have FCP 6 on a macbook pro (fairly old one).
I want to capture the footage but I am confused by the entire process and cannot find a simple guide.

What I have done is literally copy and paste the Folder PRIVATE into a folder on my computer (well an external hardrive) but how do I now open that in FCP and work with it?

I appreciate any guidance and wlll respond quickly with info you need! (And apologies if you see this twice, I think I will also post in the FCP section..)

THANKS

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HMC40 to FCP6 novice!
on May 30, 2011 at 8:54:53 pm

File>Log and Transfer. Point to your card folder. Also a decent guide is here -
http://www.filmrocks.com/pdf/HMC_150.pdf

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Poppy Dixon
on May 30, 2011 at 9:20:34 pm

Thanks,
but unfortunatley I'm still confused. When you say 'point to your card folder', what do you mean? Point to my files where?

The guide says:
'Mount (double click) the disk
image(s) of your footage." What I copied over (from the PRIVATE folder on the SD card), there are various MTS files in different folders - some say CPL, MPL also). I don't know which of these files is the actual files.. (and I can't view them for some reason- only on the camera).

Then the guide says
"A new window will open and FCP will
recognize your disk. The clips will be
displayed on the left with a viewer
pane on the right."
BUt this is not happening. Would you know why?

Sorry for being such a doofus, I think I just need instructions that don't presume any knowledge of this kind of file - I've always logged and captured tape until now!

tanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 30, 2011 at 10:00:21 pm

Point Log and Transfer to the folder that is the top-level i.e. above all the subfolders that you copied over from the card. Then you should see your shots show up ready to be ingested. You did copy over all contents and kept the folder structure intact correct? :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Poppy Dixon
on May 30, 2011 at 10:34:40 pm

When you say 'point' do you mean clicking on the 'open file' tab?

I do this and it says
" "HMC TEST" has invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches the supported media."

I presume I copied it all over - I did what it says in the HMC40 guide, which is to just copy the folder PRIVATE (And all subfolders)
Which appears to be
PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/
CLIPINF
MOVIEOBJ.BDM
INDEX.BDM
STREAM
PLAYLIST
AVCHDTN
(and then the files within them).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 31, 2011 at 5:34:28 pm

Not sure- might not be support for your camera in 6. Worth getting the upgrade to 7- it's only $299. I'd also suggest working directly from a card out of the camera and not your hard drive. If it shows up in FCP then that means your card structure copy is not correct.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 31, 2011 at 6:33:27 pm

Hi,

Go to http://www.panasonic.com/AVCCAM. Scroll down, you will find white papers there that will give you step by step instructions.

Good Luck,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]