FORUMS: list search recent posts

24P to 25 what?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chemix Ferreiro
24P to 25 what?
on May 19, 2011 at 6:59:21 pm

Hi all

In PAL land, what would be the correct way to go about 24P footage when it's time to deliver for TV broadcast?

Our new AF 101 is getting here any day now and wonder if I should edit in a 24P FCP timeline and then cinema tool the master to 25P... or 50i...

In the end I guess it depends on the medium used for delivery (tape, upload...) and channel requirements but would like to hear from the ones who are actually doing it.

Thanks in advance

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 24P to 25 what?
on May 19, 2011 at 10:49:50 pm

25p.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 20, 2011 at 8:53:44 am

Thanks a lot Noah. I hope to get my head around all the fuss regarding the 50i to 24P process soon. I understand there's the Avisynth route for PC users in NTSC land but... what's a PAL-Mac user to do? Can you clue me on that?

Love from the Canaries

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 20, 2011 at 9:26:16 am

There is no PAL Mac-user – FCP can handle both formats.

If you shot in 24p, edit 24p (keeping it all progressive) and speed it up with the help of Cinema Tools in the end. This is the way we've seen cinema on TV for 80 years in Europe.

When you play it out for TV, any I/O card (like AJA or BM) can convert that to PsF (Progressive segmented Frames, check Wikipedia).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 20, 2011 at 10:55:59 am

Thanks Uli, I appreciate your words but I'm concerned about converting Panasonic's GH2 50i footage (mainly for slow-mo) to 24P for editing along true 24P recorded footage

I'll check the wiki on Psf

Thanks again for your time to help, I've been following you on the cow for a long time!

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 20, 2011 at 9:13:52 pm

Hi Chemix,
Do you really need p24?
Are you printing to 35mm or delivering in NTSC-Land?
If not, forget about p24 and shoot p25.
That will make easier working with the Panasonic's i50 stuff as well.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 20, 2011 at 9:13:52 pm

50i footage needs to be de-interlaced at high-quality to be used for slo-mo. I thought you were talking about 24 fps footage. IMHO, the best de-interlacer is RS Fields Kit by revisionfx. make a test to check if it's up to your expectations. Of course it's not like a RED One for slo-mo ;-)

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 21, 2011 at 9:15:15 am

Great advise. Thanks to all!

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved