FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDXC card "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Tiberi
SDXC card "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
on May 16, 2011 at 1:28:20 pm

My company just purchased a Panasonic AF100 and we are using Lexar Professional 64GB SDXC memory cards.

Whenever I plug in my Delkin Devices SDXC card reader I recieve the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

I am usuing a Mac Book Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Running OSX version 10.6.4

I have also tried mounting the cards via the camera's USB port but recieve the same message.

I have been trying to trouble shooting this problem for the past couple days but I am stumped.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: SDXC card "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
on May 16, 2011 at 6:22:54 pm

Did you format it in the camera? If so, it should be FAT32 and readable by any computer.

If it's not, the card or the reader might be damaged.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 16, 2011 at 9:34:19 pm

Also SDXC is not nearly as compatible right now as SDHC. I'd stick with that....

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on May 18, 2011 at 6:11:44 pm

I'm not a Mac user (nor do I play one on TV). But Apple apparently was a little piece-meal on SDXC updates. So the iMac version of MacOS 10.6.4, at least those released after July 2010, fully supported SDXC. But for most other Macs, you need MacOS 10.6.5.

Some of this is the file system. Originally, the defined file system for SDXC was exFAT (aka FAT64). These things are defined as part of the card standard, the purpose being interoperability between devices (obviously, you can put any file system you like on a memory card). But the SD people seem to be allowing FAT32 on it, sometimes. However, if you formatted it in your camera, could be FAT64, might not be. Fun stuff, eh?

-Dave

Return to posts index

Max Tiberi
on May 29, 2011 at 3:47:33 pm

Thanks for the info everyone!

I updated my OS to 10.6.5 and my computer read the SDXC card(formatted to FAT64) no problem.

[I was so confused at first because my co-worker's computer could read the sdxc card and my computer could not, even though we had identical set ups. Turns out that some versions of 10.6.4 will read sdxc cards, and some versions of 10.6.4 will NOT read sdxc cards. It depends on when you updated your software. What the heck apple?]

Thanks again everyone!

Return to posts index

Nan Grenier
on Sep 15, 2014 at 5:14:58 pm

I got the same message using my Calumet card reader on my iMac 10.7.5 I tried inserting it directly into the computer and it worked fine. Must be a card reader issue.

Return to posts index

David Weeks
on Feb 19, 2012 at 2:48:51 am

I am having the same issues as the other guy, however I have 10.6.8 OS installed.

I formatted this on my 60D camera and it is a 128GB SDXC card.
Help!

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:58:17 pm

I've actually looked for information on this, and haven't found much conclusive, but I believe that there are problems with SDXC and some card readers.

I have several Windows 7 PCs.. home office, home lab, remote office. I never actually noticed the problem at the home office... I put my 60D directly on USB, and it never had a problem with the 64GB SDXC card that's my main 60D card. But I think the 60D defaults to Media Transfer Protocol, one of those, which more like a network protocol than a low-level disc access like SDXC. So the file system doesn't really matter. The 60D may have other connect options buried in a menu somewhere... I know my Olympus E-PM1 pops up about five mode options when I first hook it to USB. This isn't actually a bad thing; in a modern OS like Windows 7, connecting via the higher level modes allow a more robust interface... Windows knows it's a 60D, it can read the battery level, it checks on software updates (unlikely to help much, knowing how good Microsoft isn't at collecting driver updates, but you never know)... but I still want the card to be readable on its own.

On the PC at my Philly office, never had a problem reading the card. And on my lab PC, same deal -- the card reads fine. Both of these are built-in readers, the one in Philly came from Gateway, the one in the office is a USB 2.0 driven built-in drive, fairly new.

On my home office desktop, though, I have a Delkin DDREADER-38, which certainly isn't new, but worked fine up until this. When I insert the SDXC card, the PC recognizes it in some way, but offers to format it... so it is clearly confused. This PC is running the same Windows 7 as the two others, and I have formatted exFAT on HDDs (actually as the best common format for video between Windows and MacOS right now), so I know that's not the issues. Has to be the card reader... but why?

Just as a sanity check, I put the 64GB card into my Panasonic TM700, formatted it, and tried to read it on the Delkin reader. Nope... same result. I'm guessing answering "yes" to the "Do you want to format" would make bad things happen (on a totally unrelated hardware project here, I just trashed two 8GB SDHC cards... a client hired monkeys to design their computer board, and the totally boggered the SD interface), not anxious to get experimental with one of my best cards.

-Dave

Return to posts index

David Weeks
on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:50:37 pm

I used my camera and USB cord and I was able to transfer the video to my computer.
I did not try to transfer directly to FCP, I assumed that it wouldn't work.

I have a card reader that is about 2 years old ad it probably cannot read the 'XC card. I am going to purchase another reader and see if that is the problem. But at least if nothing else it worked using the 60D.

thx

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Feb 24, 2012 at 8:58:39 am

[David Weeks] "I used my camera and USB cord and I was able to transfer the video to my computer.
I did not try to transfer directly to FCP, I assumed that it wouldn't work.

You never know... it is a Quicktime format. It's AVC, and I know from my Daughter's Mac that FCP is pretty evil on AVC, but does at least make the attempt to open it. It does load directly into Sony Vegas.

[David Weeks]
I have a card reader that is about 2 years old ad it probably cannot read the 'XC card. I am going to purchase another reader and see if that is the problem. But at least if nothing else it worked using the 60D.
"

That's the part I don't completely understand either, with yours or my Delkin unit. SDXC is electrically identical to SDHC. The reason they made it a "new" specification was primarily to force everyone to use exFAT rather than FAT32... a development that would be far more welcome if Canon entered the 1990s and allowed more than 4GB video recording (I have a 60D, too).

But there's some HW difference with some of these units. I do wonder if there was some real difference between SD and SDXC that was optional in SDHC, and many a number of these readers were really just generic SD units with updated firmware.

I got tired of having to hook up my 60D or go into the lab to read my 64GB card directly, so I bought a new Transcend reader. It won't read any of the ancient card formats, but it does SD/SDHC/SDXC, CF, and some flavor of memory stick... pretty much all you need in 2012. Also supports USB 3.0, so it may eventually be faster. I tried it up against the Delkin, and it was ever-so-slightly faster... and of course, did support the SDXC card, which is class 10, but pulled off 22.3MB/s reads, 20.9MB/s writes. A Class 10 SDHC 32GB card was nearly as fast, while a Class 4 read at 19.5MB/s, but wrote at only 9.57MB/s... overkill for a Class 4, of course.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]