FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH2 private folder

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Walker
GH2 private folder
on May 14, 2011 at 3:33:32 am

I am on an extended shoot using the GH2 (which I am still somewhat a novice on) and will only have access to a Macbook with FCP5. I have a newer version of FCP at home. As far as I know I cannot transfer mts files using that old version of FCP. What I would like to do is copy the correct folders onto an external drive (and a backup) and then transcode them to pro res when I get back. Am I correct in thinking that if I simply copy the entire "private" folder onto the drive, putting each folder into a folder with a specific name/date, then I can open these in FCP in pro res later? Do I need to do anything other than copy the private folder?

I know I can also view the mts files in VLS so I'll be able to preview the clips.

Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: GH2 private folder
on May 14, 2011 at 4:02:13 am

Copy from the top level- everything on the card goes into a specific 'reel' folder. Then you'll be fine. Just make absolutely certain you copy everything at once and no mixing of cards into the same folders.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Aaron Walker
on May 14, 2011 at 5:17:57 am

Thank you, Noah. One last question: I was researching this about a little while ago (and you helped) because I was preparing for this same shoot which got derailed because of the earthquake in Japan. But now I am going this week.

I am taking an EX1 and a GH2. I want to shoot broadcast quality footage using the EX1 for verite scenes and GH2 as a b-cam on interviews and controlled b-roll. I have been shooting on the EX1 using 1080/24p. The GH2 I'm still a little unfamiliar with and am confused about the AVCHD vs. the 24p Cinema mode. I know that the latter is 24p. And the AVCHD shoots 1080i (60i). Should I go with both at 24p or go with AVCHD and change the settings on the EX1 to match.

Also this footage might be intercut with a bit of DVX footage that was shot at 24p.

And are there any tips on profiles to help the two cams match better?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 14, 2011 at 9:11:42 am

For copying get the nice little free app "Copycards" from:

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/copyCards/copyCards.dmg

Regarding 24p: Shoot 24p on the card! 60i in the GH2 is somewhat mangled and will give you headaches, there's a long thread over at DVuser.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 15, 2011 at 3:33:40 pm

Use the 24H mode- that's 1080/24p AVCHD at ~20-25mbits. That's what you want... I review all of this in my GH2 tutorial btw.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]