FORUMS: list search recent posts

A General Question about Scene Files Settings

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
A General Question about Scene Files Settings
on May 11, 2011 at 5:17:20 pm

Hallo,

I shot recently a documentary, in which I tried some new settings in the scene files.
Even though all the material is in focus, it seems to be a lot less sharp and crispy, than material
I shot before in exact the same location a while ago.
There certain settings - I must admit - in the scene file settings, that are not really clear to me.
I guess, that those settings are responsible for the more soft and fuzzy look.

Would somebody, who has the patience ;-), go through all the different setting points (V detail level, coring and so on) and explain each effect. In the manual it is not a very practical description.

Thanx a lot.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: A General Question about Scene Files Settings
on May 11, 2011 at 8:24:45 pm

That's something worth reading the manual carefully for and/or buying a book that goes over more details. Also you don't even say which camera you're referring to.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 11, 2011 at 8:40:38 pm

Hi Noah,

It's about the Panasonic DVX100B.
And yes, I did read the manual more than once and I know quiet well, what each setting describes there.
But I hoped to get some more practical hands on tips, what each setting does, e.g what does the detail setting exactly influence and therefor in which situation, it is better to push it up or down. And which setting in particular could be responsible for having a more fuzzy image and losing some of the crispness I had before in the same location.
Thanx for the quick reply,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 11, 2011 at 8:48:41 pm

There is an excellent book written by Barry Green, available on his website, http://www.DVXuser.com and it goes through each of these settings in detail. It also comes with a CD with sample scene files and how they look, as well as pictures to show what the settings will do to the picture.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 11, 2011 at 10:59:35 pm

That was precisely the book I was going to suggest or my DVD which is a bit more on the post side of things with some exploration of scene file settings.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 12, 2011 at 5:32:04 am

I second the book from Barry Green.

And just one general thing: Any method that is making images more 'crisp' in the camera can be applied as well (or even better) in post. It's just an edge enhancement that is creating a synthetic impression of sharpness which is not really delivered from the sensor.

In many cases it's even better not to 'bake it in' in the camera, but add some to your taste in post.

The Red One, for example, is not applying any sharpness, but has much more resolution than a DVX-100 and has been used on numerous films in cinema, like "Social Network".

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 12, 2011 at 5:43:51 am

Thanx uli, that's some interesting info.
I wasn't aware of the post sharpness being the same or better than the in camera one.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Max Maier
on Aug 16, 2011 at 5:39:08 pm

Hello!

Is there any similar book for the AF100?
I would like to learn more about those settings but also about the posibilities in post.

Greetings to all of you! You already helped me a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]