FORUMS: list search recent posts

AF100 lenses

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Leyse
AF100 lenses
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:34:10 pm

I recently purchased the Panasonic AF100. I will primarily be using it for interviews and b-roll, although I will be shooting some run-n-gun style footage as well. I have a Nikon D90 DSLR so I purchased the Novoflex micro4/3 to Nikon adapter in order to use my 50mm f1.8 prime lens. I could continue to buy other Nikon primes like the 35mm and 85 mm for interviews.

I've tried the LUMIX 14-140mm F4.0-5.8 lens and did not really think it was worth the money.
I'd welcome any suggestions for interview or run & gun lenses. My budget for glass is around $2,500.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon Leyse

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AF100 lenses
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:08:27 am

You looking for primes or zooms? Personally I think Nikon lenses especially those with manual aperture are about the best deal going. Not a lot of MFT native lenses to choose from right now. But here's a place to look-

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/lense.html

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:27:11 am

We have the Olympus Zuiko 14-35 f2 with 4/3 adapter.
This lens is excellent, provides very nice bokeh.
I'm waiting for the 2x extender to arrive, but using it in conjunction with the on board ND wheel, a fader ND, I'm able to shoot at F2 in almost all locations.
This lens may push your budget, but it is worth the money, and with the 2x extender it will get into that nice portrait range.
The extender may be a problem for run and gun, in that you will have to remove it to go wide.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:23:43 am

Next to the Nikkor lenses, the Rokkors from Minolta are very fine glass. I compared a Rokkor 1.4 50mm to the Nikkor and it's even better, the Nikkor is very soft and adds glow at open aperture (which an look nice too – horses for courses). Now I bought a very good 100mm Rokkor from Ebay and it's wonderful. Has a very long threading for following focus too, so smooth!

But of course these are both telephoto on the AF100. Glass from photo cameras is not that great on the wider side. Some say the Tokina 11-16 ain't bad, but I didn't test that.

The Panasonic 7-14 is quite good for the price, but slow. If you need something wide and fast, get the 20mm 1.7 pancake from Panasonic, it looks kind of ridiculous on the AF100, but is tack sharp and much faster than the zooms from them. Forget manual follow focus, though.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Apr 29, 2011 at 1:06:43 am

Thanks for the feedback.
I like the way primes look but have never filmed an interview while switching lenses or moving the camera. I will be shooting internationally with potentially low light and nasty backgrounds. This makes fast primes very appealing so I can shoot in low light and pull the background out of focus.

If I had a 28mm, 50mm and 85mm Nikon primes, I think I could cover most single person interviews. The problem being I have to change glass or move the camera in the middle of the interview which can break up the flow.

As far as shooting the b-roll or "on the street" videos, I need a zoom and a wide angle lens to finish out my kit. The reviews on the Tokina 11-16 look pretty good for a wide angle. The Panasonic 7-14 could be tough to use indoors because it is so slow and it is kind of expensive for an f4.

Has anyone used the Panasonic 14-140mm F4.0-5.8 for indoor shooting with natural light?
Jon

Jon Leyse

Return to posts index

david braman
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:03:51 pm

I've used that lens in pretty low light conditions (doctors were viewing projected radiology images...so the room was minimally illuminated by overhead tungsten can lights). I had to bump the gain quite a bit, but the camera is amazingly clean at high gain...even in the deep shadows. If the context of what your shooting is documentary in nature, you should be more than good.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:49:53 pm

We have an Olympus Zuiko 14-35, too, and it's an excellent lens. It's not a parfocal so won't hold focus during a zoom. Think of it as a variable prime. It does allow very fast adjustment of the frame. It will autofocus, but we usually use it with a Zacuto follow focus.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jacob Burghart
on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:32:46 pm

i've been traveling in pretty hectic situations with the AF100 and the best lens I've found is this.
14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit Aspherical MEGA O.I.S. Lens. you need a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. 14-50 is enough range for most situations, if you need the light you can stay wide and you've got a nice 2.8 and the O.I.S. works. I've taken this into the Jungles of Congo, Riots in Egypt, and Snowboarding in New Zealand.

That being said it's not perfect and I'm still looking for something better. So keep the suggestions coming. I need speed, range, and stabilization.

Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]