FORUMS: list search recent posts

No audio on HMC-40 footage in Ingest preview or FCP?!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Sykes
No audio on HMC-40 footage in Ingest preview or FCP?!
on Apr 18, 2011 at 4:12:02 pm

So I am really confused and a bit worried. I recently shot an event and it would appear that none of the audio was picked up. I was shooting with an HMC-40 and had the audio split between two devices. Channel one for the on board shotgun and channel two for the presenters LAV. I usually pick the best track in post and just double up on it for stereo. Works fine for my purposes and I have yet to have a problem...until now.

During the shoot in questions I could see my audio levels responding accordingly on the LCD and could hear the audio through the headphones. I usually lift one earphone away from one ear to toggle between the LAV and the shotgun to confirm I am getting audio from both devices.
I should also note that I shot several events the same day as this shoot as well as several others in the following days all without any problems or changes to my audio settings.
After downloading the footage from the card, I went to ingest everything into FCP (ver.7.0.3) and I don't have any audio. It isn't present when I preview the footage through the log and transfer dialog box nor is it present after putting it down on the line. I am really confused and very worried that I lost all my audio. The Audio line is just flat as if I didn't have any devices plugged in but I know for a fact that I both "saw" and heard my audio while recording. Thoughts? Ideas? Ughh.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: No audio on HMC-40 footage in Ingest preview or FCP?!
on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:47:14 pm

What happens when you play the card in the tape? Hope you saved a backup of the originals and not just the quicktime ingests. Because if you didn't, situations like these are precisely what you do that for. It's possible you may have had audio unchecked in the log and transfer window. In that case, it's gone...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Graham Sykes
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:42:35 am

Not quite sure what you mean by "Play through the tape" do you mean through the camera? That was my first instinct. Find the original card, play through camera and see if audio is present.
I have the card that contained the event in question but I had already formatted it and shot an interview on top of it. That being said, I do not just save the QT ingest files but rather take the entire file hierarchy (DCIM, etc, etc) and transfer that to a separate HD on my machine and then log and transfer from that.
When I am done I have the original contents of the card along with the QT ingest files for backup. So in essence, I feel that I have the originals (though my transfer method from card to HD is click and drag and not some bit by bit x-fer software) which I can revisit with the log and transfer process at any time.
That is a good suggestion about checking the audio portion of the Log and transfer dialog and I will do that. I thought my settings may have been incorrect so I visited another projects original files to play back through log and transfer and they all had audio..including the interview I shot later that day and several others from over the weekend. Is there something I can look at within the original cards fire hierarchy to determine if I am truly out of luck?

Thank you for your response. It is very much appreciated and I will follow up on your suggestions.

EDIT: I started a recover process on the card that had been written over in the event that I might be able to recover something. Not sure how that will differ from the original files I copied from the SD but I am gonna try.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:14:06 pm

It wouldn't be necessary to data recover the card. If you did save a complete archive off the original card just copy that back onto a blank card. The camera will not know the difference. See if you hear audio in the camera when you play the clips on the recopied card back.

And just as a practical matter- I can't recommend highly enough getting more cards so you don't erase anything until post-production on a project is complete. They're just so cheap there's no excuse for data loss at the card level.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Graham Sykes
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:28:45 pm

Well, I just loaded the original files back onto a card and played back through the camera. No audio and video playback is fine. This leads me to think there must have been a problem during shooting. It makes sense looking at the evidence but doesn't square up with my memory of the shoot. Granted, when video says one thing and my "memory" says another, I tend to doubt my memory.
But to shoot a program over an hour long with headphones on the entire time listening in and watching the meters do their job?? Watching the footage I can recall moments when I was listening and watching when my meters almost pegged because of feedback from the PA system or hearing the presenters ice in his glass tinkling around when he took a drink over the LAV and the cross talk from the table of people sitting a few feet in front of me being picked up by the shotgun mic. Maybe I imagined all that but that seems just as unlikely...Not sure what my next move is.
I agree that there shouldn't be any reason to shoot over a card that hasn't been taken through post. I have had others go through this experience and I thought I had learned from them. 4 cards with 5 assignments in a row means that something has to get bumped. Naturally, it had to be the one I am having issues with. I don't hold the purse strings here and I lobbied for us to have 4 cards instead of the single card we started with (small agency with even smaller video production dept....me) so maybe now this will come as another nice reminder to my boss.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:08:37 pm

Sorry to hear that- all depends how you're monitoring and what your shooting mode was, etc. It's always a good idea to play back the first take of a day with headphones on to make absolutely certain. Not that it helps you much this time out but maybe someone else will read this thread and have better luck.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]