FORUMS: list search recent posts

AF100 - Iris problems with FD lenses

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Maslin
AF100 - Iris problems with FD lenses
on Apr 17, 2011 at 5:42:11 pm

I'm trying to use some of my 35mm still camera lenses with my AF100, specifically a Canon 50mm f1.8, and a Vivitar 28-70mm f3.5. I'm using a Novoflex FD lens adapter suggested by my retailer. I get images from both lenses, but when adjusting the manual iris on each lens, the light levels don't change.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: AF100 - Iris problems with FD lenses
on Apr 17, 2011 at 11:20:28 pm

Are you set on manual exposure on your camera iris/shutter as well? Perhaps the AF100 is compensating for the manual f-stop. And if there happens to be a lock on the adapter (check its manual) is that unlocked.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

chris li
on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:08:49 pm

What Noah said. There is a pin in the adapter that engages the iris ring of the FD lens that enables you to manually adjust iris. If it is not engaged the iris opening won't change. Lock or unlock but I can't remember the preferred setting.

Return to posts index

Bryan Maslin
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:15:36 am

Chris and Noah, I appreciate your help.

The camera's settings appear to default to all-manual when an adapter ring is installed (as I expected). With the lenses off the camera, the Canon 50mm's iris won't adjust at all...? The Vivitar zoom's iris will adjust off-camera, but not on. The Novoflex FD adapter ring is a fixed piece of metal with no adjustable parts. I did another test of both lenses today with the same results.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:10:05 am

Try emailing Novoflex- if it's not auto exposure on the camera nor aperture lock on the adapter doesn't make much sense.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Bryan Maslin
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:37:22 pm

A friend helped me discover the problem. The fixed pin on the lens adapter needs to go to a specific side of the movable iris pin on the lens. Simply lining up the red dots on each when connecting will create the problem I experienced. In any case, it was operator error.

Again, thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]