FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inexpensive LTO5 archiving solutions?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Burleson
Inexpensive LTO5 archiving solutions?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:47:58 pm

Starting with the assumption that LTO5 is the way to go...
We are trying to figure out the cheapest way to archive to LTO 5.
Maybe something as simple as Retrospect and and LTO5 tape drive per edit station. We have 2 FCP edit stations that need to be able to archive Raw Footage,( up to 10-12 hours worth of footage per project) FCP Project Files, AE Project Files, Motion Files DVDSP files, and all created graphics and footage related to each project.
We considered BRU PE but I have heard mixed reviews on that.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Before anyone recommends this,... I think the Cache-A solutions may be out of our budget.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Inexpensive LTO5 archiving solutions?
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:47:19 pm

Sorry- haven't heard cheap and LTO used in the same sentence. Kudos to you for choosing a proper, robust archiving solution. But like anything worth doing right- it requires a substantial investment.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:51:22 pm

Thanks, ... is anyone just using something as simple as Retrospect and an LTO5 drive?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:36:45 pm

One low cost solution to consider are Blu-Ray discs...

A Pioneer 10x Blu-ray writer is under $150, and Delkin sell "200 Year" archival "Gold" blu-ray discs for about $20 a piece. I imagine the price will drop over once there is competition.

A single sided blu-ray disc holds about 25 GB of data, a dual-layer disc holds about 50 GB, and the latest BDXL format holds over 100 GB of data.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:42:16 pm

[Randy Burleson] "fore anyone recommends this,... I think the Cache-A solutions may be out of our budget."

I have a solution for you, Cache-A. :)

Does it have to be LTO5? Their LTO4 Prime Cache is more affordable and boasts all the efficiencies of the Cache-A system (you would only need one system as it's networkable, and you won't need any goofy third party software).

But really, how much is your data worth? If it's as valuable as ours (not in terms of actual sellable value, but in terms of keeping the data safe) then the cost should be wrapped right in to every project. Starting right now, you charge a nominal archive fee in your projects and that will pay for the system/tapes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:10:10 pm

Just heard that Cache-A knocked $1000 off of the Prime Cache price. Also announced LTO5 version of PrimeCache. All announced at NAB, but I wasn't there.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:17:27 pm

We are using LTO4 and Retrospect. I don't like it. I haven't had to try to get anything off it yet, but I suppose for back up and forget you have it type stuff, it works. We archive shows short term on bare drives with weibetech enclosers, then make a Tape backup of each drive. Problem is that 750 gig drives are getting hard to find :)

I would love to move to a Cache-A and might do it now with LTO5 and the price drop.

I did read an article from Larry Jordan trying to get an LTO5 hooked to his macpro and it took 2 weeks and hours on the phone with the maker of the drive. And it still involved dipping into the Terminal in OSX to get the tape to mount.

I thiink cache-a is the way to go, even if it is more money, you'll save it in the end with troubleshooting.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on May 2, 2011 at 8:07:19 pm

Matt, what exactly don't you like about it? Too slow? Too Difficult?

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 3, 2011 at 12:49:48 pm

Randy-

Too slow? COmpared to a HD, yes, but its tape. i can live with the fact that transfer times will take a while. Too difficult? Parts of it. Getting retrospect to see the tape drive took some work, and I was running it on a G5, and did a small update to retrospect, and it no longer worked. The software would lock up when starting the archive. Then I moved it to our newer FCSVr machine, and had to buy a new scsi card for the drive, then I had issues getting the software authorization transferred. Then i had my asset library of about 50 tapes to move over, and it wouldn't recognize them even when they were in the correct drectory, so I had to locate them and import them from with in Retrospect ONE AT A TIME!!!! Online support for the software is so fractured and spread out, the softwares been kicked around a lot.

All that being said, once I got it running and stable, it has been going for a while without any hiccups. There are still things about it that are aggravating, like not being able to rename a media set within retrospect. I haven't had to unarchive anything from it yet, so I can't speak to that.

Once its running, and as long as nothing goes wrong, its seems to be fine and I'll stick with it for now. I suppose I could setup a watch folder on the FCSVr mac and script a backup in retrospect so it will act like a cache-a machine.

But with retrospect it seems that everything goes into this big black hole, and we trust the software to manage the data and be able to retrieve it. That makes me nervous, not having a non-proprietary way of getting at the data.

At least Cache-A writes to TAR so I can go to virtually any LTO4 machine with any software any (Eventually) get my data back. Not so with retrospect. Better hope they don't kill off the software. Or if they do at least make it open source so there aren't thousands of LTO tapes out there that are worthless without it.

Like I said, its working for now, but I'm not completely comfortable with it.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Ajit Nair
on Feb 23, 2013 at 4:43:15 am

you should go for Tolis Bru PE with Tandberg or HP single Drive solution which has FC connection

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]