FORUMS: list search recent posts

For Jan - can you add features to the AF100's HDMI output in a firmware update?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Jay Gould
For Jan - can you add features to the AF100's HDMI output in a firmware update?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:58:20 pm

This one's for Jan - I haven't seen it asked here or elsewhere, though perhaps I've missed it (mea culpa in advance if so).

Is it possible in a future firmware update to add the ability to output the focus-in-red and the WFM via the external HDMI output?

Here's why. We sometimes mount our AF100 on a jib arm. Obviously in that configuration we can't view the camera's viewfinder or LCD. Additionally, the small 7" monitor at the jib operator's position cannot fully resolve HD focus, (though it comes close). And as a practical matter there's no way to mount a full-size 1080-capable monitor in that environment. We can, of course, remotely control focus and iris. So if there was a way to set the camera up to output the focus-in-red and WFM to the external monitor, that would be a HUGE plus for us.

Not knowing the camera internals I don't know if that's a firmware issue or hardware. I'm hoping it's firmware and something you're willing to consider.

Kind regards,

Peter Jay Gould
The Intervale Group, LLC
Shelton, Connecticut

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: For Jan - can you add features to the AF100's HDMI output in a firmware update?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:42:41 am

As an aside- most high-end production monitors will do both for you. So whether or not it is something that's possible via Firmware- you need not wait.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Peter Jay Gould
Re: For Jan - can you add features to the AF100's HDMI output in a firmware update?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:36:28 pm

Certainly true, but remember that many people who purchased the AF100 did so for cost reasons. High-end monitors can cost almost as much as the camera. So being able to output the camera's own intelligence to a lower-cost monitor would, I suspect, be VERY helpful to many users.

Pete

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:28:03 am

Hi,

I do not believe it is possible to put those effects out over the signal path. But as Noah points out there are a number of monitors that do this very thing. I would watch what comes out of NAB, there may be one in your price range.

Best,

jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Peter Jay Gould
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:34:02 am

Hi Jan,

It's true - I know there are several high-end monitors that do. But for about $250 you can get a 7" HDMI monitor that's great as a framing reference but obviously won't be a good focusing guide. For users who have to "do more with less" I think you'll find they're headed there rather than in the over-$1K direction.

So - the next time you're talking to the engineers - it'd be terrific if you could ask. I know it's not in the firmware NOW, but if there was a way to do it I'm betting it'd be VERY popular. If not - it's still an unbelieveable camera for that price range.

Pete

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 8, 2011 at 9:32:57 am

[Jan Crittenden Livingston] "I do not believe it is possible to put those effects out over the signal path"
If you have it on the screen, should be possible to have it on the HDMI.
My small JVC Everio does.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:05:36 pm

Don't assume anything- HDMI is a weird connection and not all implementations are the same.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]