FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC 150 to laptop

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Miller
HMC 150 to laptop
on Mar 7, 2011 at 6:06:28 pm

Looking for a reasonably priced way of streaming and saving my Panasonic AG HMC150 video feed to a laptop during live events. I know that the USB is not an option so is there something that uses HDMI and does anybody have experience with this camera doing this?

What I am doing is an all day event that I would like to log and label the clips as I go so they are organized when I go to edit. Each clip is 2 to 5 minutes long and there will be over a hundred.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: HMC 150 to laptop
on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:26:04 pm

FYI: I own a HMC-150 camera which I am extremely happy with...

I looked in to this before and decided the simplest route was to find a laptop/desktop PC that has firewire ports, and then buy a used firewire capable video camera, like:

Low-budget: Canon HV20 / HV30 / HV40 camera

Higher-budget: Panasonic DVX-100 / DVX-100A / DVX-100B camera

A used DVX-100 can be found for as little as $1,000, while a used HV20 might go for as little as $300. The DVX-100 is pretty much a tape-based SD clone of your HMC-150, so it would not be a big deal to switch to it for video-streaming work.

Streaming HD ( 720 or 1080 ) video requires a very good broadband connection for users to watch your content, which is why I think SD ( 720x480 ) or lower resolution video makes a lot more sense.

Return to posts index

Dan Welter
on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:59:25 pm

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I'm waiting to buy this backup hard drive and monitor system by Atomos.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F...

It's called the Ninja and it looks like a great back up for you.

DWelter

Return to posts index

Dave George
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:55:36 pm

Hey there, have you figured this out yet? I'm trying to figure it out, myself. I found a four year old post on some forum that said...

"This is what I do, have done, works great and is super cheap.

I use old firewire breakout boxes, you can get them on eBay for $15-75 depending on the model, you plug your HMC into it using composite or component depending on the box you get and then use a firewire cable to connect to your computer.

As far as your computer is concerned the BOB is just a high quality webcam.

The quality is pretty damn high for how inexpensive you can pick them up for an programs like UStream Producer Pro allow you tu use several of them at once even on a laptop."

(me again)

But I am having trouble finding these "breakout boxes." Was wondering if you'd figured it out yet.

Dave George
Director, Social Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]