FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 or Sony HD Handycam

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renaud Boulanger Levesque
DVX100 or Sony HD Handycam
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:26:07 pm

Hi,

Soon I'll be shooting a video and I'm confused about which camcorder I should choose to shoot it. The Panasonic DVX100 or the Sony handycam HDR-XR500V.

I read the DVX100 is better because of its manual controls, but it's not HD, less pixels..

I'm not really experienced in this area, so if you have some advices, that would be great.

Thank you.

Show a lot of things happening at once / Remind everyone of what's going on / In every shot, show a little improvement / To show it all would take too long / That's called a montage / Girl, we want a montage!

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: DVX100 or Sony HD Handycam
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:25:34 pm

What is your experience with video production?

How will your finished video be used?

What is the delivery platform for the finished video? DVD? Blu-Ray? High-speed Internet Connections?

Return to posts index

Renaud Boulanger Levesque
on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:48:23 am

I have little experience, I studied Cinema in college, I made short films with a Sony PD-170. So I know a little bit about white balance, focus, zebra, but I'm really not an expert.

The video will be recorded and then projected at an event on big screens. So maybe we're gonna play it from a computer or from a DVD. I guess it'll be directly on the computer, because it's simpler.

*We're not gonna record the audio. There's gonna be music at the show.

Show a lot of things happening at once / Remind everyone of what's going on / In every shot, show a little improvement / To show it all would take too long / That's called a montage / Girl, we want a montage!

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:57:13 pm

If DVD is your target platform, then HD has no advantage. ( DVDs are NOT high definition )

I would go with the DVX-100, as it has more control, a much better lens, and can shoot in very low light. Just keep in mind that you will have to manually focus your shots, which is not that big a deal. ( HandyCam autofocus is very convenient, but manual focus with the HandyCam is awkward )

I would also recommend spending a few hours practicing with the DVX-100 and then try editing your DVX-100 footage, just so you are comfortable with the whole production process.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]