FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing Af-100 with HDSLR footage

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Blaustein
Mixing Af-100 with HDSLR footage
on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:52:13 pm

Will I have an issue editing footage from a Panasonic AF-100 and footage from various other DSLR's (5D Mark II, 7D, T2i) on the same timeline in FCP?

It looks like they both need to be transcoded to ProRes anyway. Thanks in Advance.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Mixing Af-100 with HDSLR footage
on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:14:25 am

[Seth Blaustein] "Will I have an issue editing footage from a Panasonic AF-100 and footage from various other DSLR's (5D Mark II, 7D, T2i) on the same timeline in FCP?"
How the H264 from the DSLRs will behave? Nobody knows.
That will depends very much on the H264 flavor, the system, and what will you try to do with the footage.
About mixing codecs and sizes on FC, no problem, but NEVER mix stuff with different time-bases.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Seth Blaustein
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:05:03 am

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is time-base in a video codec? How can I make sure I am not mixing?

How can I go about quantifying what the H.264 "flavor" is? I didn't realize there were different varieties...

I will be using FCP on a macbook pro running on Tiger.

"...and what will you try to do with the footage.." ---Are there types of edits I should avoid?

Thanks for the help.

Seth

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:07:59 pm

[Seth Blaustein] "Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is time-base in a video codec? How can I make sure I am not mixing?"
In short, time-base is the number of frames per second.
If you can use the same for all the cameras, the best.

[Seth Blaustein] "How can I go about quantifying what the H.264 "flavor" is? I didn't realize there were different varieties..."
Most of the last generation of camcorders are shooting a plethora of LGOPs H264 varieties (the AF-100 does). Most of them needs to be converted to Prores or any other more editable codec.
DSLRs are shooting Intraframe H264, what makes editing on FC more feasible, but as I said that will depends on few factors. The hardware is one, and with your system (Tiger/G5) I think is very difficult that you success on this.

[Seth Blaustein] ""...and what will you try to do with the footage.." ---Are there types of edits I should avoid?"
I know of people cutting Canon H264 and sending to Color without problem (fast computer anyway), but I haven't heard of people working with multi-layers, applying filters or animations without problems.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Seth Blaustein
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:27:31 pm

hmm, I see about the time-base. The canon's produce 24 fps (24p). From what I can find on the internet, it looks like the AF-100 can shoot 24p as well...shouldn't I be OK with the time-base if this is true?

I don't edit the raw Canon H.264 in FCP--I convert to ProRes. If both the AF and Canon footage are the same time-base and both the same resulting codec (ProRes), shouldn't I be ok?

I am trying to do a test of this before shooting (but I'm waiting to see if I can get my hands on the af-100 before shooting). So, in the meantime I am trying to gather as much info as possible.

I appreciate your help, Rafael.

Seth

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:46:30 pm

The video that the Canon DSLR cameras produce have minor issues that need to be corrected. ( I can't remember the details offhand, but I know that color-space conformity is one of them )

The Cineform NEO SCENE software ( $100 from VideoGuys.com ) automatically recognizes the Canon DSLR footage and will correct the problems when you import the footage. Check the Cineform website for details on what corrections it makes. You can also download a trial version of NEO SCENE from their site too.

The biggest issue I would anticipate trying to edit video from multiple cameras in to one timeline, is trying to make the footage look the same. ( unless you want it to look very different depending on the camera used ) Video resolution, gamma, dynamic range, color balance, are all going to be different, which will mean a fair bit of work trying to massage these different videos down to a similar look, if that is what you are after.

Return to posts index

Seth Blaustein
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:05:22 pm

Thanks for the advice, Guy. I plan on doing lots of massaging.

I'll try to get back to this post in a few weeks to follow up on the resulting mixture.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]