FORUMS: list search recent posts

AF100 over exposed?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Martin
AF100 over exposed?
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:04:16 am

Hi everyone,

I just got a new AF100 and am starting to do some test shoots. While i admit I haven't gone through the manual in any detail, it's doing something odd and I thought I'd post to see if anyone else has seen it.

We shot 2 different scenes - one outside on a partly cloudy day and the other in our studio with a green screen cyc. Both test shots came back pretty over exposed.

On the outdoor shoot, we set the zebras to 100 and exposed so that the zebra's were just starting to show up in the white clouds.

For the indoor shoot, we set the zebras to 70 and exposed so that the zebras were just starting to show up on the talent's cheek bones and nose.

Everything looked great in both the eye piece and LCD as well down converted to a Sony 8" NTSC field monitor.

However, when we imported the footage into FCP (trans coded to ProRes HQ) everything looked hot - no detail in the sky and the talent was blown out on the green screen shot.

I'll be doing more detailed testing (and reading the the manual) tomorrow to make sure I understand all the camera settings, but it seems odd that I really like the image in the viewfinder but it doesn't translate into the edit suite.

Doing something wrong in the Log and transfer process? Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: AF100 over exposed?
on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:35:59 pm

[Steve Martin] "Everything looked great in both the eye piece and LCD as well down converted to a Sony 8" NTSC field monitor.

However, when we imported the footage into FCP (trans coded to ProRes HQ) everything looked hot - no detail in the sky and the talent was blown out on the green screen shot."

It sounds like it's your FCP post process that is the problem, especially if the you can play the clip from the camera and it looks fine using an external monitor.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 12, 2011 at 7:37:30 am

How are you monitoring in FCP?

While the AF100/101 is a bit difficult in it's highlights (like most video cameras, as compared to shooting RAW), I can't see anything like you describe. Could you post an example?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:36:16 am

Don't blow your highlights. It will look ugly. The blown highlights will go yellow. I found if you use the built in waveform monitor you wont have issues with over exposure. It works really well. Make sure you shoot under 100. Best to shoot for 90 and skin tone at 70. This will give you room for post work.

http://www.mediaartproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]