FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVX100 to Soundcraft Series Four Soundboard

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Healy
DVX100 to Soundcraft Series Four Soundboard
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:28:39 pm

I am hoping that someone will check my thinking because I am paranoid that I am forgetting something in preparation for an upcoming stage event. I am going to connect a DVX100B directly into a Soundcraft Series Four soundboard. The DVX will be shooting from a position next to the board. I don't know my way around this or any soundboard, but I did take a look at some of its high-level documentation (http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/fetchfile.aspx?cat_id=brochures&id=48) and gathered what I could.

At this point, I don't know what type of house feed I will be given (i.e., program feed or auxiliary feed). Program feed is better, right? I am also uncertain if line out will be a 1/4" TRS jack (board) to XLR (camera) or an XLR (male/female? board) to XLR (camera) or something that I had not figured into the equation.

Here's what I have:

2 x XLR male to XLR female (20').
2 x XLR male to XLR male adapter (gender changer).
2 x 1/4” TRS balanced male to XLR male (1.5').

Also, as a DVX sanity check, are my DVX audio setting correct?

XLR plugs into DVX's INPUT 2.
INPUT 1 & INPUT 2 set to “line”.
CH 1 SELECT set to INPUT 2.
CH 2 SELECT set to INPUT 2.
(Check audio levels on site using headset.)

My thinking is that the one input feed from the board will record to both DVX audio channels.

Finally, I have a ZoomH4n. Should I be working this into the equation? I'd like to KISS if possible.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Murray Nelson
Re: DVX100 to Soundcraft Series Four Soundboard
on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:19:44 pm

With a nice board like that you should be recording two discrete channels. If the sound guy can spare an aux channel then you can group some of the rhythm instruments into that because if you have the mix out on the other channel you get some serious discrepancies in levels relative to your rhythm instruments. You can then have a chance to balance your mix later in production.

The mix will be for the house not your camera.

You should use the onscreen level indicators to monitor your gain and yes switch to line levels on the camera. If you have a willing sound man he might accommodate your aux mix and make periodic adjustments for you as you monitor from headphones.

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:24:06 pm

I would add that if you have the Zoom recorder, have it record the room sound on just using it's internal mic. Position it right in front of the Sound board as that's usually the suite spot for audio.

Handy to get applause and a bit of reverb/room tone you can mix in later to the board feed.

Cheers

John C

Return to posts index

Sean Healy
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:04:17 pm

Murray & John,

I very much appreciate your input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]