FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Audio in camera

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
Recording Audio in camera
on Feb 7, 2011 at 3:50:46 am

I'm trying to work out how I'm going to shoot my next ultra-low budget movie. Question: Would it be practical if I didn't hire a sound recordist but instead only used a boom pole operator, sending the audio directly into the camera and leaving the camera's audio recording on "auto"? I plan to buy a Panasonic af 100 for the camera. Ideally having a separate sound guy would be best...but is what I'm suggesting an exceptable alternative? The camera has XLR inputs for audio but would it be safe to rely on the camera to record the audio properly without "supervision"?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Recording Audio in camera
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:11:41 am

On auto- nope. Only way to get good sound is boom plus an outboard mixer. Double-system sound is not required but manual level certainly is.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:31:04 am

I second this. While the AF100/101 has technically good sound (uncompressed), any auto recording has to be avoided for serious shooting. You can ruin the best images if the sound is crap.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:20:02 pm

I would either rent or buy a Sound Devices mixer like the 302 or MixPre. This along with a good pair of headphones for your boom-op, like the industry standard Sony 7506 ( they are under a $100 ) would go a long way to recording decent audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]