FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much time while overcranking?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Sims
How much time while overcranking?
on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:46:00 am

Hello everyone,

Could anyone fill me in on how much run time I will see from a 16GB card running 60 fps? Just want to make sure I'm covered for an upcoming shoot. I realize I can have two in but still need to have a plan in place.

FYI, just finished a shoot with the camera but no high speed. We really loved the look.

Thanks,
Rich

Return to posts index

Rich Sims
Re: How much time while overcranking?
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:48:18 am

Hi all,

Found the answer and thought I'd let people know. Apparently it doesn't matter if you're shooting slow motion or not. Recording time remains the same. So 16GB gives you 1 hour 30 minutes.

Take care,
Rich

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:50:02 pm

...Not trying to be a "shirt" disturber, but I have read that the AF-100 records at a 50 percent higher data-rate when shooting 60 FPS over-crank video, which roughly puts it at about 35 Mbps.

This means that a 16 GB SDHC card would only record about 60 minutes of 60 FPS over-crank footage, that would play back as 150 minutes of slow-motion 24P.

Over-crank also requires Class 10 memory cards, and does NOT record any sound while shooting.

Return to posts index

Rich Sims
on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:59:25 pm

Hi Guy,

Not "shirt" disturbing at all. I was actually thinking how could this be and I haven't had my hands on the camera long enough to do a test. We're shooting over the next few days so if I get an idea than I'll post my findings.

Thanks for jumping in.

Take care,
Rich

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:54:02 pm

[Guy McLoughlin] "...Not trying to be a "shirt" disturber, but I have read that the AF-100 records at a 50 percent higher data-rate when shooting 60 FPS over-crank video, which roughly puts it at about 35 Mbp"
If the camera process at just a 50% higher data-rate when overcranking, the resulting file will will be "sub-standard".
When overcranking 30/60, the camera needs to process at double data-rate (x2). When you overcranck 24/60 the data-rate must be "x2.5". The resulting file should always be standard for the format.
That's makes that your slowmo picture from overcranking (60/30/24) will be better than the picture you get conforming p60 to p30 or p24.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:25:23 pm

Yes, ideally the data rate should be 2.5x the standard rate, but from what I've read it's only a 50 percent increase.

The few samples I've seen appear to be OK, though I don't know what would happen if you were trying to record a detailed high-speed event.

Vitaliy Kiselev ( creator of the GH-1 Hack ) recently posted on the DVXUSER site that the firmware to the AF-100 appears to be completely open, and thus he should have little trouble hacking the AF-100 firmware once he modifies the programming in his processor model. So there is the chance that down the road an AF-100 Hack could increase the data-rate for regular filming and overcranking.

Vitaliy Kiselev: Good-news-about-AF100-firmware

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]