FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blue fringe on subject in front of projector screen

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Geoghegan
Blue fringe on subject in front of projector screen
on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:35:49 pm

I'm getting a significant blue fringe on the side of my subject's face. I'm using a DVX-100B in Squeeze mode, 30P. I had to set the shutter to 1/30, it's the only setting where the projector image behind the subject doesn't do anything weird. I'm also using a fairly long focal length (Z84) to get my framing right due to the width of the screen.

Take a look at the image below for what the blue looks like. Got any tips?

http://yfrog.com/h07xip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Blue fringe on subject in front of projector screen
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:35:07 pm

There are a couple of things working against you.

First, you're shooting in the DV codec, which is notorious for lousy color resolution (aka color sampling), so you're certainly going to see odd things as the edges. There's a good non-technical explanation of color resolution as it pertains to chroma keying, but the principles still apply to your situation. You'll find it here:
http://macbreak.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=70596

Second, you shot 16x9, where the pixels are much wider than they are tall, which makes those edge pixels with the lousy color resolution are made even bigger.

So yeah, you're going to have those kinds of problems, and there really isn't anything you can do about it with your current camera.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Justin Geoghegan
Re: Blue fringe on subject in front of projector screen
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:34:23 pm

I see. And it\'s because of the blue present in the purple image behind the subject? This is the first time I\'ve noticed a blue fringe on anything in over a year of shooting with this camera. I really appreciate your detailed response!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]