FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the Panasonic AG-HMC80 The right camera for the task?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brielle Ashley
Is the Panasonic AG-HMC80 The right camera for the task?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 5:04:02 pm

To The Cow Forum Experts... My name is Brielle and I have been tasked with finding the right camera for the company I work for so I am reaching out for some opinions from the Creative Cow Universe! I work for a cluster of 5 radio stations (Top 40's, Country, ESPN, Gospel and Adult Contemporary) that is looking to add a versitle HD Production camera to our list of tools. Because of the spectrum of stations you can only begin to imagine the events and opportunities for exclusive content for our digital department. We will need a camera for intimate artist interviews, backstage interviews, on stage shots as well as some audience elements. We will use this camera for footage at Award show pre-parties, local competitions and events like ECSC (East Coast Surfing Championships), Multiple Marathons, local sporting events the possibilites are limitless. All post will be done in a combination of either Final Cut, After Effects, and or premiere pro so the raw footage will need to be easily transfered and compatible with those programs. We would also like to have multiple audio options and on camera lighting. We are currently considering the Panasonic AG-HMC80. Our biggest issue is price so it will have to be relatively inexpensive and at the same time meet the aformentioned requirements. Any opinions, direction or assistance in purchasing the right equipment is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Is the Panasonic AG-HMC80 The right camera for the task?
on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:01:49 am

Kinds depends- that's a solid if not super inspiring camera that won't let you down but won't shoot footage that's particularly exciting either. It's a very capable, middle of the road choice.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:43:26 am

From what I understand, the biggest drawback is low light. Same for the HMC40. So if you're filming interviews inside, you'd need extra lighting in many cases. The HMC150 has come down in price, and is currently only $500 more the the HMC80. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=hmc80&N=0&InitialSearch=yes vs http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=hmc150&N=0&InitialSearch=yes). The general comments are that the HMC150 does much better in low light situations, which will help out when you aren't outside or with supplemental lighting for indoors.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Jan 12, 2011 at 11:51:41 am

Actually the HMC150 price at B&H is $2,795, $200 cheaper than my previous post. (You just have to click "Add to cart" to get lower price.) So it looks like the price difference is only $300 between the two.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:20:20 pm

This is amazing...I was just about to start checking this camera out, and then I found this thread!

I'm a bit familiar with Sony's XDCAM camera, which uses those expensive SxS cards and that proprietary XDCAM Transfer software. Would acquiring footage from this Panasonic work in a similar manner?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 23, 2011 at 8:11:04 pm

[Paul Campbell] "I'm a bit familiar with Sony's XDCAM camera, which uses those expensive SxS cards and that proprietary XDCAM Transfer software. Would acquiring footage from this Panasonic work in a similar manner?"

that would depend on which NLE you're using. Most have direct ingest support.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]