FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC-150 effective ISO?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcolm Matusky
HMC-150 effective ISO?
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:24:06 pm

Has anyone done a test to rate the Panasonic HMC-150's effective ISO at 0db gain? I am not impressed by the vague and varied "sensitivity" measurements given by various manufacturers with different gain settings enabled so it is difficult to make a comparison between cameras.

Thanks'

Malcolm

Malcolm

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
Re: HMC-150 effective ISO?
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:19:45 pm

Are you trying to pair an HMC150 with a DSLR for a shoot? If so I'd like to hear your experience.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:27:19 pm

Not really a fair comparison- it's not a film camera so ISO is basically meaningless. You want to measure a video camera's sensitivity at a given level of lighting, you use a waveform monitor and vectorscope.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Rick Zeimann
on Nov 20, 2010 at 3:28:16 pm

I agree with Noah. Don't sweat the ISO. Think of the available lighting when shooting.

I have the AG-HMC150 and an EOS 7D and I use them both differently. I use the HMC150 for lengthy shoots (+20 minutes) with good lighting. The 7D gets pretty hot when shooting video and isn't nearly as portable as the HMC150 for those 'run & gun' situations (e.g., weddings).

I use the 7D for low light situations that I can't always control and planned shoots (e.g., weddings).

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Nov 20, 2010 at 6:04:33 pm

I have a 7D and am planning to purchase the HMC-150 to have greater flexibility. I appreciate the responses, but I used to "rate" video cameras with a light meter so I could light a set, the LD needed this information so he could use a light meter, no one had a LUX meter at the time. Procedure was simple enough, point the camera at an evenly lit 18% gray card, set gain to 0, see what the stop on the lens was when image was properly exposed. The LD would hold his incident meter at the gray card, 50th of a second, set the stop from the camera and adjust the dial to see what the resulting ISO was. That was the "effective ISO" and now it was easy to use light meters on set without having to ask to see a monitor, or WFM, which really slows down complicated lighting set ups.

The "tube" cameras used to have an "effective ISO" about 64, at 0db gain. I presume current cameras are much higher now, and I would find it useful to know the effective ISO of the HMC-150, because I do want to use it with my 7D in the same lighting setups.

Rick, have you ever made this comparison? you have the 7D, is the HMC-150 substantially less light sensitive?

Thank you,

Malcolm

Malcolm

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 21, 2010 at 1:46:47 am

Again- not a fair comparison and also mitigated by the lenses you choose. So, it's much more relevant to have both cameras next to each other with a proper waveform and calibrate your light meter that way. And that said, most professional DP's I've interviewed for American Cinematographer say that when they are shooting HD/video they light to the monitor and rarely pull out their meters- even when they know exactly what their "ISO" is.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Nov 21, 2010 at 2:54:49 am

Thank you all for your posts, I did find that, one person, suggests the effective ISO of the HMC-150 is 500 ISO. For those of you who own this camera, does this sound about right?

Regards to all,

M

Malcolm

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:32:09 pm

I'd doubt that high- I'd say more like 320 max if you really want to be didactic about it...

Noah

Return to posts index

Luis Luna
on Nov 3, 2013 at 8:00:06 am

Hi there,
I have bought recently Panasonic HMC150 for weddings and events shooting. I have a Canon DSLR Rebel T2I and needed to find out about ISO. I use Minolta Light Meter. I found no definitive answer online.
So, I asked a Cinematography Teacher at the Local Film School today and he suggested to figure out using a 18 % Gray Card and Minolta Light Meter.

NOTE: Gain is used to measure sensitivity from starting ISO point. So, you need to find out what is NATIVE ISO/ASA for 0 db on your particular camera. I did not find Panasonic explaining it.. The manual simply states you can assign db for each levels.

Based on my test HMC 150 Native ISO at 0db is 200 ISO

0 db Gain = 200 ISO Native (25 ASA)
6 db Gain = 400 ISO Native (27 ASA)
12 db Gain = 800 ISO Native(30 ASA) ( I found there is so much noise in low light shooting with 12 db Gain.

Here is the methodology I used. You need a 18% Grey Card and a Light Meter (I used Minolta)

1. I well-light 18 % Grey Card
2. On Panasonic: A) I set gain to 0 dB (since I need to find out the Native ISO at 0 db gain)
B) I set IRIS to Automatic
C) I set Shutter Speed 1/60 (the reason is my Minolta Light Meter does not have 1/48 or 1/50 shutter speed)
3) I pointed Panasonic HMC150 to it and it read out me in this case IRIS (Aperture) at F 2.0

4) Now I used my Minolta Reader and set my TIME (Shutter Speed) to 1/60 and kept changing ASA until I saw F-stop (Aperture/Iris) reached to F 2.0. I then looked at the corresponding ASA number (my minolta is old Light meter and uses ASA (American Standard Association as opposed to ISO (international standard association). I got 25 ASA. On Minolta itself I have a corresponding tables for ISO to ASA conversation. The table showed it was 200 ISO.

So, you can reproduce this test using Light Meter and 18 % Grey Card.

So good luck... I suggest to shoot either 0 Db (200 ISO native) or 6 db (400 ISO)... If you are shooting at 0 db Gain - makes sure you set your IRIS (Aperture) to OPEN or 1.7 F stop and add some lights if needed..

I was told by a film industry expert that typically on the film set they use: ISO - 400, F2.2 or F2.8 and shutter speed at 1/60s. Of course the amount of light will effect the exposure.

Good luck...... I need now to figure out how to set a custom 'flat' profile on Panasonic HMC150 as I do on my Canon T2I - 0 contrast, 0 sharpness and -2 saturation..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]