FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Motion Muck Up

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin DeVoe
Slow Motion Muck Up
on Nov 18, 2010 at 1:57:59 am

So I made a boo boo:

This was my first test with the HMC's slow motion capability and I botched it; truth is, I still NEED that slowmo I captured.

Here's what I thought I was doing: Shooting 1080/60p for a 30p timeline.

Here's what I actually did: Shot 1080 60i for a 30p timeline.

Is this salvageable? Its going to get deinterlaced so its going to result in data-loss I know, but what workflow will save me? I am using Vegas for this project but also have access to FCP 6 if need be.

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
Re: Slow Motion Muck Up
on Nov 18, 2010 at 2:23:10 am

I have TMPGEncore express which deinterlaces by way of various methods including 'doubling framerate', but I don't know if that's the right place to begin.

Also I realize this thread belongs in an NLE forum notwithstanding the fact that its apropos HMC AVCHD footage. Apologies.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:05:23 pm

[Benjamin DeVoe] "Here's what I thought I was doing: Shooting 1080/60p for a 30p timeline.

Here's what I actually did: Shot 1080 60i for a 30p timeline."

There are comparatively few cameras on the planet that can shoot 1080 60P. They tend to carry price tags similar to a brand-new Corvette, with lens extra. If you don't mind reduced resolution, you can conform your footage to 59.94 frames/sec.

If you want a nice, sharp picture, forget about shooting at 1080 and shoot at 720 60P; you'll then get true frames instead of what amounts to interlacing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:34:20 pm

COMMENT re: 1080 60P cameras

The only consumer cameras that I know of that can shoot 1080 60P are the Panasonic TM700 and HS700, and you may have some issues when trying to edit this footage on a Mac.

...As far as your 1080 60i footage goes, you can convert this to 1080 30P fairly easily, though the image may not be as sharp as footage actually shot at 1080 30P. ( de-interlacing will fuzz anything that is moving )

If you are still after your slow-motion effect, you might want to take a look at the Twixtor software which does a great job of creating pseudo slow-motion from standard footage.

RevisionFX Twixtor
http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/overview/

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
on Nov 18, 2010 at 10:29:58 pm

Thanks for your help guys; let me just recount the solutions so I can get my head around them.

1) Dave is suggesting I conform the 1080/60i footage to 59fps,then in my 30p timeline RE-conform it for slow-motion with resolution loss.

2) Guy thinks I should conform the 1080/60i to 30p then apply patented slowmo software.

Am I getting this right? Sorry, I'm still confused.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2010 at 7:05:30 pm

[Benjamin DeVoe] "1) Dave is suggesting I conform the 1080/60i footage to 59fps,then in my 30p timeline RE-conform it for slow-motion with resolution loss."

Actually, I gave you bad information. Using an editing application, you ought to be able to slow down the footage, but it will come at the cost of reduced resolution.

[Benjamin DeVoe] "2) Guy thinks I should conform the 1080/60i to 30p then apply patented slowmo software."

Nope. He discussed two things: deinterlacing, which turns 60i into 30p with no speed change. Then he discussed the slo-mo / frame rate conversion software, which is pricey and requires a fair amount of work to get a good-looking image.

But here's option #3 -- screw 1080, shoot at 720p60, and conform the footage to 29.97 -- it'll be 30p, and half-speed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin DeVoe
on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:18:52 pm

Thank you guys for your responses. I owe you each a beer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]