FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC-150 audio drop out

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon McFadden
HMC-150 audio drop out
on Oct 17, 2010 at 4:10:26 am

When shooting a long meeting, I am losing about one second of audio when one file ends and the next begins. It cuts out about one second before the end of the file. This happens when I am shooting without stopping and the file size reaches the maximum and a new file is created. This does NOT happen when I am starting and stopping the recorder.

This problem has kept me from using the camera for legal depositions.

Can I adjust the settings to stop this from happening? I am down converting to SD, so it wouldn't be a big deal to drop the quality of the recording down. I leave it at 1080 so that I don't forget to put it back when 1080 is necessary... don't want to tempt Murphy...

Return to posts index

Tom Kaatz
Re: HMC-150 audio drop out
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:37:33 pm

This seems to be a problem with the AVCHD codec. I see this problem all the time with this camera and have heard others talk about it with other cameras. If this is a problem with this codec, then why hot consider another file format like NTFS. Panasonic has been silent on this problem and I have not heard of a work around. It appears as though the audio frames are not there. I use this camera in long shoots all the time and have been searching for an answer as well.

Return to posts index

George Gio
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:43:56 pm

A single shooting clip which file size is greater than 4GB and file is split in SD memory card might lose a few frames of audio and video at the spanned portion on a time line of Premiere Pro CS4

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/avchdcomp/AG-HMC150.html#anchor001

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:32:12 pm

Hmmm... I haven't noticed this so far, but I am using Sony Vegas to import all of the segmented video files as one large AVCHD file. ( Using Sony Vegas Pro "Device Explorer" to import the video as one file )

Can someone post what steps are required to reproduce this problem?

For example, how long do you have to film in PH mode in order to see this problem?

Does it happen as soon as the video file is segmented ? ( at the 2 or 4 GB mark )

Return to posts index

Jon McFadden
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:19:43 pm

I'm using Vegas Pro as well, but I don't import the video as one large file, just drop them on the time line. I will look into doing it the way you are doing it to see if that solves it.

What I can tell you is that this is happening at about 26 minutes. When set at PH 1080/30P. File size is about 4.187 gig

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 18, 2010 at 11:54:12 pm

Definitely try using "Device Explorer" with Vegas Pro 9 ( or 10 ) as I am pretty sure it will fix your audio dropouts.

Return to posts index

Jon McFadden
on Oct 19, 2010 at 1:14:46 am

Guy, it did work to use the device explorer. It even read from my card reader and I didn't have to connect the camera. Thanks for the solution there. I wish it didn't add a step to the project, but at least there is a solution.

Maybe they will come up with a way to just drop the files to the timeline in the future.

THANKS!!!

Return to posts index

Ana Maria Suarez
on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:00:50 am

Can you expand and tell me what is "device explorer" and what does it do. This might be a pain, but what if you recorded and lets say you are close to the 26 minute mark, and you see a moment where you could stop recording and then start recording again. But then again for legal stuff, maybe you need everything there. Is this device explorer a perfect fix?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:20:13 am

"Device Explorer" is a feature in the Sony Vegas editor 9+ that lets you import a video that is stored on a SDHC card as multiple files as one big AVCHD file on your hard drive.

So if you do a 160 minute shoot at the PH Mode which would almost completely fill a 32 GB SDHC card with many 4 GB files, you can use "Device Explorer" in Sony Vegas to import this as one 32 GB file on your hard drive.

Essentially the Sony Vegas "Device Explorer" function is reading the meta-data that the camera stores on the SDHC card, and stitching together all of the pieces of a long video file back into one large file on your hard drive.

Return to posts index

Victor Arevalo
on May 28, 2011 at 6:33:53 pm

So what would be the 'Device Explorer' for abode cs4/cs5? would it be bridge?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]