FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD Card Issue

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Sammons
SD Card Issue
on Oct 14, 2010 at 6:21:21 pm

I was using a Panasonic 16 GB SD card last night on a shoot and the camera gave me a System Error message and told me to shut the camera off.
I did.
When I restarted it, it said Card Error. I reseated the card. Same message.

Replaced the card with a different one (Transcend 16 GB), and it recorded fine the rest of the evening.

When I tried to view the stuff I had already shot on the Panasonic card today on my computer - the card won't mount. It's dead.

I figured the Panasonic card was a top of the line card, since they also made the camera. Anybody ever had this problem before? Suggestions on what cards are best?

My only other bad experience was with a Lexar SD card. It also wouldn't load and I lost a shoot. So now, Lexar and Panasonic cards are off my list...

Bill Sammons
Watermark Productions
http://www.watermark-productions.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: SD Card Issue
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:50:22 pm

Cards can go bad just like any other piece of gear. I prefer the higher end SANDISK cards myself.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Maxwell Federman
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:30:24 pm

After over a year and hundreds of hours of use, I must strongly reccomend the Patriot brand SD cards.

What's great is that the price is right. I have used the same cards over and over without consequence.

I haven't tried their 32GB card but the 16GB Patriot cards have been wonderful. A colleague who suggested the HMC to me because of his success with it told me not to use the Transcend brand cards because they had failed for him in the past.

I hope this info is helpful--

Max

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 29, 2010 at 8:45:26 am

I have had good luck on multiple SD devices with Transcend, Patriot, Kingston, and until last night, SanDisk. Seems I got a Class 4 card last night that's being treated as a Class 2 by my HMC40... and another one, from the same rack, that works just dandy recording at the PH bitrates (21Mb/s = 2.263MB/s, too fast for a Class 2 card, which only guarantees 2MB/s writes).

And SanDisk is usually one of the best. They make their own Flash memory, unlike many of the other labels -- though chances are, you get Samsung memory in most things, they're the largest manufacturer of flash in the world).

-Dave

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:09:02 pm

One of the reasons why I chose to standardize on Patriot IRIS Class 6 SDHC cards is that they consistently tested as 17 MB/sec write speed, which was much faster than any other brand I tested.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 31, 2010 at 5:13:03 am

Any SD card from a reputable manufacturer will at least meet the minimum spec for that card class. Going faster is fine, but buys you nothing on the camcorder itself (ok, sure, a little margin is nice, but you get that with any AVCHD camcorder and a Class 4 card... some the DSLRs may actually need a Class 6).

The interesting thing in my SanDisk dilemma.. the flawed card performs (SiSoft Sandra Lite 2010) identically to the matching un-flawed card, as well as several other class 4 cards I had lurking around. It also worked just dandy in my TM700 (even at 28Mb/s) and Sanyo FH1. Go figure. I was sure I had been slipped a Class 2 card with Class 4 markings, but it's very definitely performing as a Class 4. Not sure what the HMC40's problem is with it... I need to find a utility that reads the card's ID block. There's got to be some explanation.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]