FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reverse Telecine DVX footage back to 24p?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Kerwin
Reverse Telecine DVX footage back to 24p?
on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:07:17 pm

I shot a feature on a DVX100 5 years ago. My editor digitized footage at 29.97. It is my understanding that I can (possibly) use Cinema Tools to reverse telecine back to 23.98, and drop this footage into a timeline, thus eliminating the gross junk frames that are in there now. The original footage was captured at 24p. However...how will this effect my timeline and more specifically, my sound mix, which has already been done?

I'm looking for the best way to accomplish this, getting back to the original 24p. And do I just batch telecine all of the media from the project? I don't want to do anything that's irreversible from the original project and screw myself up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Reverse Telecine DVX footage back to 24p?
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:14:28 pm

Here's a very basic but crucial series of questions: how was this footage originally captured?

Did the editor capture entire tapes?
Did the editor do a proper job of Log & Capture by capturing individual shots only?
Did the editor do a mixture of the two, such as capturing all the takes of a given scene, then capturing all the takes of the next scene?

If you're attempting to do this just to keep the frame rates nice 'n neat, you might think twice about doing it. But if there's a good reason, you're probably going to have your hands full with this task.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:44:41 pm

Yeah which is it- captured at 24p or 29.97? A lot of folks accidentally capture DVX100 footage at 24 frames per second which results in throwing out the wrong frames. In that case you need to get the original tapes to do things properly.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Kevin Kerwin
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:48:22 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. It was digitized at 29.97 by an editor. I'd have to check with him on what he originally did. I have all of the original tapes. I would have to check with him. It was awhile ago, it played a couple of festivals with a great film called "Formosa."

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:36:31 am

ha ha- good times Kevin. Yeah I would go for the original tapes if you could- best way to conform without a *lot* of pain. Formosa is now called Social Guidance btw.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Kevin Kerwin
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:04:03 pm

Thanks. So you're suggesting redigitizing at 24p from original tapes? how would that effect a sound mix that's done at 29.97? Unfortunately we can't do a new sound mix. I'm also wondering if I just re-do the titles and keep it as-is. Thanks for the help. K

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 18, 2010 at 3:27:02 pm

I'd just redo the titles- you're asking for a lot of work otherwise. :)

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]