FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC-150 vs. Sony Z7U

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Torres
HMC-150 vs. Sony Z7U
on Sep 17, 2010 at 6:51:52 pm

Okay guys, lets not be biased here lol. I know this is a HMC-150 forum but I couldn't figure out where to post this.

Okay, I am about to pick up a video camera next week. I been all over the internet reading reviews about all the top HD independent camcorders, with little clarity of what I'm really trying to find out.

I heard from many sources that the HMC150's visuals look exactly like the HVX200a and the HPX170, but with way cheaper cards. Is this true? To be honest, I am very basic when Im filmmaking, so I dont need a bunch of video frame rates that I will probably never use as well as standard definition.

Also my 2nd question, I been looking at the Sony Z7U quite alot. I heard that the HMC-150's 1080p is really 810, so my question is, how much better is the quality in the Sony Z7U. Can you really tell the difference? Is it better, worse, or the same for a filmmaker who will mostly be using 24p?

Please let me know, thank you all for your time.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
Re: HMC-150 vs. Sony Z7U
on Sep 18, 2010 at 3:45:23 pm

Your post is a bit odd, in that you say you have simple needs, then compare two industrial cameras that will set you back at least $3k to $6k. You might refine your requirements and budget a bit more.

If you can spend the extra $3k that it seems the Z7U costs, then yes, it seems like a great camera, though I haven't used one. You really aren't comparing similar cameras though. You might as well compare a Zoom to the 150, the price difference is that big.

I've really enjoyed the 150, and yes, would like interchangeable lens, but haven't had a need for one yet. I would also like a dual slot for the SD cards, so I could have a backup done on the fly.

Think of it this way, you can buy the 150, and then buy a fully kitted out Canon T2i for your DOF needs for the price of one Sony Z7U, it seems from casual glance. That's the setup I have. But maybe the prices have come down on it.

Alf

Return to posts index

Richard Johnson
on Sep 23, 2010 at 6:52:31 am

I have used a Z7U and was impressed with the quality. I had heard bad things about HDV but was freelancing on a shoot and thought it was great. We did a couple indoor interviews in natural light and it seemed to perform very well. I think that's always a good test for cameras. That being said, my HMC-150 performs very well in low light. I was worried about the AVCHD codec but shot some side by side footage with an HPX-170 and shot a green screen test. I could not discern the difference from the two Panasonics on a large HD screen and the green screen keyed well enough in After Effects for my liking. I also agree with the previous poster about using the money saved going the HMC route and picking up a VDSLR. A second camera can often come in handy. I shot a cooking show this weekend using two borrowed Canons (T2i models) and the footage cuts nicely with my HMC-150. The 3 year warranty on the HMC-150 is a nice assurance as well. Cheers, it sounds like you have good options whatever route you take.

Return to posts index

Joseph Torres
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:42:39 pm

Awesome. Im kind of leaning more towards the HMC-150 because it seems not only up to par with the z7u and HPX170/HVX200a, but it is cheaper as well.

However Richard,

When you did these HMC/HPX compares, was it in 1080p? I would like to know because thats what I use the most, since it really is the highest definition on the camera.

Return to posts index

Richard Johnson
on Sep 25, 2010 at 4:18:18 am

Joseph, I believe the tests I did were in 1080 but I cant be sure. I did it over a year ago and it was just for my personal judgement when making my own decision about which cameras to purchase (I was upgrading from panasonic dvx's). Most of the shooting I do is in 720p60 and that works well cutting with the canon footage that can record 720p60 as well. I generally don't like the slow frame rates and the canon cameras I've used can't do 60p in 1080. They can in 720 though so it cuts well with the HMC.

My recommendation to you is to kind of do what I did. If you can, get a hold of an HMC in your area and shoot some footage, (doesn't have to be fancy just similar to the type of shoots you most employ) then bring the footage into your computer, edit with it, color grade it, key it, whatever you do. See if you fall in love with the footage or if it leaves you wanting more. That will be better than anyone else's opinion. Even if you have to just bring your own (class 4 or higher) sd card into a camera shop and record some footage in their store and in their parking lot it will be really helpful and only take up an afternoons time. That's my advice anyway. Cheers and good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]