FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best inexpensive sound for the DVX100A

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chill Will
Best inexpensive sound for the DVX100A
on Aug 27, 2010 at 6:17:19 pm

Hello all,

I am recording segments for the web of me addressing the camera (my DVX10A).

I will be standing prob. about 3-10 feet from the camera.

What is the most inexpensive way to get good sound.

I've been thinking of ordering the Audio Technica at803b wired lavaier from B & H for $130.

Any tips about using this mic, or alternate suggestions for sound would be appreciated.

Be well,
Chill Will

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best inexpensive sound for the DVX100A
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:23:23 pm

I personally find wired lavs to have a muffled quality and limiting in terms of shot type, camera placement. They have their use but only after more traditional shotgun mics- either boomed manually or from a stand are ruled out. I'd search in that direction. You'll likely find something AKG or Sennheiser somewhere near your price range. You'll ultimately get much more natural sound that way.

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: Best inexpensive sound for the DVX100A
on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:56:20 pm

Ideally for indoor work you want to use a good cardioid or hyper-cardioid pencil mic on a boom just out of the shot. Most shotgun mics under $1,000 do not work well indoors because they have poor off-axis sound rejection, thus they pick up almost as much sound from behind the mic as they do in front of the mic. Cardioid / Hyper-cardioid mics have very good off-axis sound rejection, making them the best choice for average to small rooms.

AKG Perception 170 - Small Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone

Audio-Technica AT4021 Small-Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone

AKG Blue Line Series Microphone Kit

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone

The more expensive lav mics sound very good, and some of them like the Sanken Cos-11D sound as good as a condenser pencil mic.

Sanken COS-11D Miniature Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone with XLR Outpu...

...While I own a COS-11 lav, I don't use it very often because it picks up audio from almost everywhere. ( it requires a quiet room to use it effectively )

My favorite general purpose lav mic is the TRAM 50, which has pretty good sound, and very good off-axis sound rejection if you face the mic towards the vampire-clip.

Tram TR50 - Omnidirectional Lavalier Condenser Microphone (Black) : Sennhei...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved