FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does 24p footage shoot darker than regular video?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sally obrien
Why does 24p footage shoot darker than regular video?
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:21:46 pm

When I set my DVx100 to 24p, the image gets darker (even when I open my lens all the way). Why does it shoot darker than regular video?

Sal

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Why does 24p footage shoot darker than regular video?
on Aug 18, 2010 at 3:04:24 pm

If you're choosing the 24p setting simply by choosing a scene file setting it's not just the frame rate that's changing- it's the gamma, iris, detail, etc. Check out all of the controls in your camera. 24p doesn't affect the overall brightness of a shot, if anything switching from just 60i to 24p should become brighter because the camera is giving slightly more exposure time to each frame at 24fps than at 29.97...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Duane Giliam
on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:00:28 pm

Hi Noah,
Does that only apply to NTSC systems?
When I switch over to 25p (via the menu - not the scene dial) from 50i
I see that the picture is about a stop darker.

Duane

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:02:53 pm

The scene file control of most cameras changes many different settings- not just the frame rate. You can typically change only frame rate via accessing the frame rate settings buried deeper down in a menu. And don't forget those are the factory settings- you can change and overwrite those to be more useful.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:06:53 am

I too have wondered this as a friend gave me the scene file settings for my DVX he has used for the weddings he has done. When I set everything including 24p, indoors, it is way too dark to be usable. If I then switch just the 24p back to 60i, it lightens up significantly, enough to be at least good, if not "just fine" to use.

My only experience has been this one scene file group of settings and used indoors in 3.2k light.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]