FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avchd to DV/NTSC conversion problems

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Lee
Avchd to DV/NTSC conversion problems
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:20:01 pm

Hello all,

I am new to the community and I have a problem I'm hoping someone can help with. Please excuse me if there is a previous thread about this but I couldn't find one that solved my issue.

I have been shooting with the 150 for a while now and generally I am exporting HD for blueray and web, or exporting to Mpeg2 for dvd.

I am currently working on a project for broadcast tv and their delivery guidelines specify that they want a DV/NTSC quicktime file for final output.

I imported the avchd footage(720/24p) into FCP using prores 422 and edited my project as usual. My only issue is when I export to DV/NTSC. I have tried everything possible but the video turns out blurry and looks horrible. I have exported using quicktime conversion to DV, DVCproDV, DV50 all with the same result. I have even exported the raw quicktime file from FCP and tried converting to DV in mpegstreamclip. Same result.

The only way I have gotten an acceptable result is exporting to compressor from final cut and using uncompressed 8bit or 10bit NTSC.

Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Nate

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Avchd to DV/NTSC conversion problems
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:43:28 pm

[Nate Lee] "I imported the avchd footage(720/24p) into FCP using prores 422 and edited my project as usual."

Did you remove any pulldown before you started editing at 23.98? If you didn't shoot 24pn, you should.

[Nate Lee] "I am currently working on a project for broadcast tv and their delivery guidelines specify that they want a DV/NTSC quicktime file for final output."

Did you remember to add pulldown back to create a 29.97 file?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nate Lee
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:05:29 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Dave. Unlike the hvx the 150 does not shoot 24pn in 720, only 1080. If I try to convert the clips in final cut using "remove advanced pulldown" it tells me that the clips are not dvcprohd ect etc. Should I try this in Cinema tools or should i go back and convert the clips in my sequence to DVCproHD in Toast and then remove pulldown? Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:17:40 pm

So your footage is 24P, NOT 24PN, right? I'm pretty sure you can use Cinema tools to do a reverse telecine on COPIES of the clips for safety's sake. Then edit at 23.98. When done, export a file of the completed video, drag it into Compressor, and make the DV file. You'll want to play around with the frame controls once you select a compression preset.

Happiness should ensue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nate Lee
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:19:11 pm

Thanks a ton, I'll give it a shot.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin