FORUMS: list search recent posts

Special way to copy over your SDHC files??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Hudgins
Special way to copy over your SDHC files??
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:47:39 am

I had a friend and I think I even read somewhere that the foolproof way to work with your digital HMC150 AVCHD files is to drag the entire folder ("PRIVATE") over to your work drive at once....

why?

I was watching a Premiere training vid where the presenter was talking about using the media browser to peruse clips that can be right on the card... then bringing them into the project pane or timeline...

why would that even be in the presentation? Would one preview files like that, bring them into a project and not others w/o copying the card over to a drive first?? That's odd to me... but I wanted feedback.

My main question is - do I have to copy over the entire card at once? -- or is it an absolute no-no to grab just several clips and pull them into a folder.

... then several more to go into a different folder? ...

and so on.

No one wants curve balls thrown at them when they're working. Just seeing if anyone else has had similar advice or even a horror story from a bad copy-over practice.

Thanks

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Special way to copy over your SDHC files??
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:03:19 pm

Just copy the entire contents over. A training video is simply one person's personal opinion. In this case, I always recommend copying entire media contents. Costs you nothing and can save your tail...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:18:20 pm

To expand this further I believe it depends on your editing software and whether it supports AVCHD natively. I'm not using Premiere. However it is to my understanding the application supports native AVCHD/.mts files. I'm guessing you can navigate into the mounted Disc Image, select the .mts video files and import right into Premiere. Can someone confirm this?

Since Final Cut does not natively support this format, in most cases we run Log and Transfer to read the Disc Image contents, locate the video files, and transcode the clips to ProRes for subsequent editing. The point is Log and Transfer requires the entire contents and structure of the disc image.

Of course you can use something like ClipWrap to transcode the .mts files included on a mounted Disc. So if you are running Final Cut, there would be no need to run Log and Transfer.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Drew Hudgins
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:23:04 am

Awesome news Paul. I had never heard of Clipwrap. I'll look into that. (on versionttracker, it says you gotta have FCP on your machine... ?? Fine for me... but I have another friend in mind who is NOT a video pro and just needs something like this to work with his .mts files)

I'll also do some testing... pulling over just a few .mts files and opening them in Premiere. (WITHOUT dragging the entire folder structure over - which I suppose FCP uses to make sense out of those files).

I transcoded just portions of my 6 GB worth of mts/AVCHD and wound up with a whopping 45 GBs or so! Geez! That was a little shell shock to say the least.

I'm sticking with/switching some to Premiere if I can help it - as long as it does take the clips natively (I got the learning curve ahead of me though)

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
http://hudgemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]